Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Speedometer cable question *81*

pbcanney

Corvette
1981 383 4 speed 3.55 rear
While buttoning up the final dodads and do hickeys on my automatic to manual swap, I have discovered the speedo cable from the automatic (81) does not reach the location it would go into the 4 speed trans (79)

The original cable went to the cruise control unit.

So..

1. Was cruise available with an 81 manual? If so, I would be searching for that cable.

but, cruise isn't really important in the vette to me. I used it once I think in 12 years and didn't like how it worked.

then...

2. Where would one get a cable from the manual directly into the speedometer. (and can I do that?)

tia- Paul

While buttoning up the final dodads and do hickeys on my automatic to manual swap, I have discovered the speedo cable from the automatic (81) does not reach the location it would go into the 4 speed trans (79)

The original cable went to the cruise control unit.

So..

1. Was cruise available with an 81 manual? If so, I would be searching for that cable.I don't see why not. If so, it would have to have an interlock to make sure you are in high gear.

but, cruise isn't really important in the vette to me. I used it once I think in 12 years and didn't like how it worked.

then...

2. Where would one get a cable from the manual directly into the speedometer. (and can I do that?)
Any speedometer shop could make one up.
tia- Paul
;);););)

:w Paul,

I replaced the cable years ago. As I recall it wasn't a big deal, I had a buddy come over and fed the old one out of the firewall then had my buddy on the topside and we taped the new one to the old one and he fed it down through all the tieoffs and I connected it up. I remember there was a piece of aluminum on the old one that I took off and reused. It helps the cable be a bit more stable as it enters the transmission.

Also I got a new rubber plug for the firewall. I bought it at a Corvette Shop in Livermore, CA (sorry I don't remember the name of the shop) and installed it too.

I tried to replace the actual cable leaving the sleeve, but ended up after a bit of frustration changing the whole cable ;) I DON'T Have Cruise ;) I got the new cable from the local Chevrolet Garage.

Bud

.... I bought it at a Corvette Shop in Livermore, CA (sorry I don't remember the name of the shop) and installed it too...Bud

I think I know which shop you're talking about. Their shop use to face Highway 880 on the south side of the freeway. That's where I got the 3 brake calipers removed, bored-out to accommodate stainless steel finish, and they still running like champs...darn...what was the name of that shop....sounded like Erick's Corvette or Corvette Erick's or something like that? Que no? ;shrug

Looking for receipts, I came across an old receipt where I had Corvette Stop revamp the cruise control too.

Sorry for the divertion...no hijacking intended.;)

Too complete the "hijack" :chuckle I looked it up on my spread sheet ;)

Carter Corvette Livermore, CA groment (speedometer cable) $5.00 June 6, 1999 ..

Bud

I'll give you $6.50 for it right now! SIGHT UNSEEN!
seriously.. thanks gang. I thought it was going to be another 2 month quest like the shifter bracket was.

-Paul

Bud

Bud

That is the place...boy, was I way off! (like in the movie Dumb and Dumberer).;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom