Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Speedometer gear to Speedometer cable replacement

vetteboy86

Corvette
1986 Black "Indy 500 Pace car replica"
I'm working on a 73 auto. I know the cable is bad. The cable is a two piece cable. I took the cable off the tranny and spun it, with no effect on the speedo. I then seperated it at the conection point. From that point to the speedometer assembly is siezed up. I'm going to be replacing the cable, but I was curious what the procedure was to remove the gear that drives the cable. Any adivice is appreciated.

Thanks

I'm working on a 73 auto. I know the cable is bad. The cable is a two piece cable. I took the cable off the tranny and spun it, with no effect on the speedo. I then seperated it at the conection point. From that point to the speedometer assembly is siezed up. I'm going to be replacing the cable, but I was curious what the procedure was to remove the gear that drives the cable. Any adivice is appreciated.

Thanks
Vetteboy,
It's fairly simple. It's been a long time since I pulled the speedometer gear. I can't recall if it dumped a bunch of fluid so you might want to have a drain pan handy. One bolt and a clamp like the one on the distributor holds the gear assembly in place. Here's a picture from the 1972 Chevrolet Overhaul Manual:

Attachments

• Speedometer Gear.jpeg
    Speedometer Gear.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 143
The gear was good, so my repair consisted of replacing the cable. The job wasn't too bad, just a bit of a hassle. I was able to reach up under the dash, press the clip that holds the cable to the back of the speedo, than work it back out the firewall. Everything else is pretty straight forward.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom