Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Speedster Spotted

CallawayC8

Corvette
1988 Convertible Vette, 3 Callaway C8's, etc
There is nothing like seeing a Speedster roll by when you are having breakfast. Actually, Sue Callaway brought it out to the Crystal Cove Car Show a couple of weeks ago in Laguna Beach. The car arrived a little late, so it had to go out in the parking lot, but the lot is its own car show as well.

http://homepage.mac.com/ledfoot/Events/PhotoAlbum93.html

Click this link and go to the Crystal Cove 8-27-2006 link. The Callaway is at the end of that page. For other interesting cars, check out the other links to Monterey Historic Races, and Pebble Beach Concorse D'elegance. Just don't pay any attention to me riding in the Ford (sorry Jeff)

Enjoy,
Anthony

Great Pictures :upthumbs

It is a stunning work of moving art!

Thanks for sharing

-Luigi
:cool

Very nice pics :cool :beer

I remember sitting in that car on Jan. 2004 right after it was built - it was neg. 4 deg. F outside - NO ROOF! :eek

...this quote however, isn't exactly accurate :ugh
Callaway's and their operations have relocated to SoCal from Connecticut

Whoa!!! Even cooler (in my opinion) look at the two Vector WX-3 prototypes!!!!

*89x2* said:
...this quote however, isn't exactly accurate :ugh

Yeah, they are adding a facility in So Cal to do installations, but they are not moving the whole shebang....

Sorry for that.

Anthony

Look closer

Those Vectors were soooooooooooooooo bad. And I mean in the not good way. While they are amazing for their performance and technology for the day, they were assembled worse than kit cars. Jerry was an engineer, and this always showed in his cars, but a penchant for production, he never had. Some pictures that we did not post showed solid resin and glass hand sanded to shape on the rear wing.

Still, they are cool to look at because of what they are. To me, the best ones were before they added Avtech as an equity partner. No goofy swoops on 'em and you could park a truck on the roof (all honeycomb monocoque)

Enjoy

Anthony

Those Vectors were soooooooooooooooo bad. And I mean in the not good way. While they are amazing for their performance and technology for the day, they were assembled worse than kit cars. Jerry was an engineer, and this always showed in his cars, but a penchant for production, he never had. Some pictures that we did not post showed solid resin and glass hand sanded to shape on the rear wing.

Still, they are cool to look at because of what they are. To me, the best ones were before they added Avtech as an equity partner. No goofy swoops on 'em and you could park a truck on the roof (all honeycomb monocoque)

Enjoy

Anthony

Anthony, what powerplants were offered in Vectors???

I remember those cars and them being ahead of their time back in the 80's :cool

Well, in a way, you can't really say too much bad about them. Those 2 cars were the prototypes, they weren't production based, they were the hand-fabricated models. The WX-3 never actually went into production in the slightest. Was Gerry Wiegert the one who brought them there? I've seen pictures of him there with the owner of a white W8 and a black and red interior M12.

Anthony, what powerplants were offered in Vectors???

I remember those cars and them being ahead of their time back in the 80's :cool
The WX-3s were finished in 1992 and had GM sourced V8s (L98s?) that came with turbo chargers. I forgot the details, but the standard horsepower output was around 660 HP. If you upgraded turbos, Wiegert said you could have 1100 HP. All mated to an Oldsmobile 3-speed automatic with upgraded pieces...

The W8s were all pretty much different (just as Panteras were all pretty much different), but the horsepower was between 600 and 700 for all of them. They all had the automatic Olds trannies as far as I know, and I've heard the transmission is actually quite good. The 0-60 time was somewhere around 3 and 4 seconds, and since there were so few gears, I believe (but don't quote me) that you could go up to 110 mph in 1st gear.

The M12 came with a Lamborghini V12 rated for 490 hp.

Gerry was there, and proud as a peacock. I think I remember him having a standoff with the new owners when they took control of Vector. They had to physically remove him from the building, which he had holed up in. Just a story; don't know if its true.

Interestingly, I have an old article of the VERY first Vector. The car was designed to drop onto ........... a VW pan.

No lie.

You have to admire that guys passion.

Anthony

Folks, a Speedster has come to market (privately) and if one is serious, drop me a private message here for the scoop.

Price is ~ $155k ...the car has ~ 0700 miles.

This is NOT one of the cars that has been for sale recently, nor an auction king.

Again, serious inquiries welcomed :cool

Wow with a price like that, I bet it won't be for sale for long! What a deal!

I'm curious, what color is it?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom