Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

spider cracks

corvette1976

Whoa. I've never seen one quite that bad. In this particualr case, I think paint repair efforts won't be what you want. Has the car been repainted in the past?

:)

I' ve never ssen spider cracks that start at the front and continue across the hood like yours, usually when its a separate piece like the hood, it stops. But yours looks like it continues? Any idea what is up with that???

I believe those cracks originate deeper into the paint and/or fiberglass. Any fix would be a band-aid. To permanently fix them I think you need to strip down to fiberglass and see if the glass/gelcoat is at fault, or just too many coats of paint have been applied.

HTH
Mike

I am no expert but it looks to me like it might have a clear coat paint on it?

Is it in the pain or the fiberglass. I have never seen fiber spider like that.
I have seen clear coats do just that though.

I am with Shark454 , the first thing to do is maybe da the hood and see if it is in the pain or in the glass.

Keep us informed on what you find.

That looks more like "bondo" cracking from a cheap repair. Look how the cracks forming between the headlights continue onto the hood. Or it has bondo on it and its simply heat expansion and contraction differences between glass and bondo. Or maybe just the cure rate of the paint caused it, no flex additive DA it down and see where it stops is all you can do.

I say it will be an expensive fix. and there will be no easy way around it.

when i bought it they were already there. the first owner paited over the original paint being lazy and not striping it down at all they why i believe they got there

i would get all the nels bead blasted and start agian

I have a 1976 corvette that looks amazing with one flaw, spider crack. Without striping the whole car and painting it, I was wondering if there is anyone who knows touch up the spider cracks?

It looks like this:

http://gs275.photobucket.com/groups/jj317/T4OYHEQEG/?action=view&current=P1011031.jpg

http://gs275.photobucket.com/groups/jj317/T4OYHEQEG/?action=view&current=P1011033.jpg

http://gs275.photobucket.com/groups/jj317/T4OYHEQEG/?action=view&current=P1011035.jpg

My $.02...

There are too many coats of paint on that car. When fiberglass flexes (and it does!), paint with the right flex qualities will remain ok- so as long as it hasn't flexed past the paint's ability to flex, has too many coats, and can still adhere to the fiberglass.

In your case, you have too many coats of paint and it has become brittle and cracked around areas that have some flex. That is why you see a rather uniform amount of spider cracks in the paint that seem to cross different body panels (hood and front end).

I'd to tear it down to the 'glass (or the first layer of primer) and start over with a new coat of primer (that has the right amount of flex agents) and go from there.

What I see looks a lot like a urethane bumper that has been hit hard enough to spider crack the paint but not damage the bumper. Too much paint and too much flex.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom