Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spindle tool

Yup. It works IFFFF your spindles aren't frozen in. I have used it to rebuild the trailing arms on my car, my friends 69, and another friends 67. One side of the 69 was frozen in and the fear was that the caliper mount which those two long bolts attach to, was going to snap. We took that side and had it pressed off. Before you think "No way that mount can break", I have already seen it done it once. Also if your desire is to rebuild the trailing arms, there are a couple other tools you will need - the tool that lets you set up the bearing thrust and the tool that lets you put it all back together correctly (read without a bigger hammer).

Geek

I've seen many where that tool wouldn't touch it - required a 10-ton press to pop it loose. I quit working on them years ago - I just send the whole assembly to Van Steel or Bair's and let them do it; they do it every day, have all the right tools, the setup experience to do it right, and they guarantee their work.
:beer

John is right about using the press when they jam up. The one that I had to remove and press off I did on a real state-of-the-art press that allowed me to set how fast I wanted the pressure applied, how much pressure to stop at, and how much pressure was being put on the part right now. It popped loose at 8.4 tons of pressure. It sounded like a cannon going off when it went. So if you even think that you want to pull spindles but they have been in there 40 years, let someone else do them who has the press.

I had the torque arms out of my '67 and used a 5 ton press with the 3 hooks to pop out the spindle, which had never been out since new. It wouldn't budge.

Finally I gave up and took it to a John Deere Dealer where they had a 30 ton press with a pressure guage, The mechanic started pumping the plunger down on the spindle until the torque arm started to bend. He said...What now? I told him to get the spindle out, whatever it took. Well it took 15 tons of pressure before we heard a loud pop like a rifle shot and it broke free. The T arm was crushed. PT

Crazy, I have taken several apart and haven't had too much trouble but I was hoping that this tool was the answer.

stepinwolf said:
The ever so popular phrase goes like this " don't even think about it " :nono

Stepinwolf

Stepinwolf Can't agree with that one. It does work and if the spindle isn't frozen in there, it works really easy. The trick is to understand the limit where you realize that the spindle you are trying to pull isn't coming out and stop before you tear things up.

Geek

I belive that GM's service tool is like this for this job. I was wondering if anyone had broken the the attachment points. If its stuck its stuck and will have to go the the press I guess.

Geek's 65 said:
Stepinwolf Can't agree with that one. It does work and if the spindle isn't frozen in there, it works really easy. The trick is to understand the limit where you realize that the spindle you are trying to pull isn't coming out and stop before you tear things up.

Geek

Well Geek, this is what Forums are all about, everyone has a right to his own opinion, even if we don't share any. I can bend this crappy tool , any day of the week. I even re-inforced mine , and did not get the needed results

Then, some years back, after a few fertile attempts, I sold it to someone, and got enough money left over to purchase all the necessary steel, needed to build a hydraulic press. Then I spent a few extra dollars for a new 20 Ton jack, and as they say, " bring em on "

Stepinwolf

stepinwolf said:
Well Geek, this is what Forums are all about, everyone has a right to his own opinion, even if we don't share any. Stepinwolf

You are correct sir. Tis the beauty of this is it not?

Holy crap. Bending that plate is saying something!

JohnZ said:
I've seen many where that tool wouldn't touch it - required a 10-ton press to pop it loose. I quit working on them years ago - I just send the whole assembly to Van Steel or Bair's and let them do it; they do it every day, have all the right tools, the setup experience to do it right, and they guarantee their work.
:beer

This is the way I rebuild mine now!! ;)

This is what I only use. I have that tool but it's sitting with the rear bearing grease tool somewhere.

Gary

presssetup.jpg

If you have experience working to .001" and have the tools this isn't a bad job. I started to document this job on another location. Some come apart easy others need attention!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom