Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

sport mirror adjuster install

wipeout

Corvette
77 black coupe
I just finished replacing the outside door handle. At the same time I would like to finish installing the side mirror adjuster which was never done by the previous employer.

Wondering if anybody has a tutorial or could instruct me as to where and how you install the bracket on the door for the adjuster. Cant seem to find any screw holes that line up with it thanks.

The sport mirrors were installed both at the factory and at the dealer as a dealer add on. If they were installed at the factory the adjuster was mounted in the upper black trim panel forward of the pull handle, power windows or not. If they were a dealer add on with power windows the adjuster would have been mounted where the window handle would have been, no holes to cut this way just pop the plug out in the door panel. If installed with manual windows at dealer the adjuster would have been mounted as factory installed.
See page 195 of the 1977 Corvette assembly manual for a factory install.
Brian

thanks for the reply ,

I do not have the original door panels. they were replaced with aftermarkets in 1991. So i believe when that was done they did not bother to install the adjuster in the door panel and just layed it in the bottom of the door instead.

So how would i go about cutting up the door panel and attaching it to make it work and fit correctly. I have the little chrome bezel that goes in the door panel. Im just not certain how to install this piece. And how do you run the adjuster cable in the door so it does not interfere with anything.

Oh and i have power windows also.

thank you.

When I was putting my doors back together after the body was redone I too had the same problem...where did the cables get routed so they were out of the way,But I didn't take it apart my body man did....
Now this is for the 81's I hope your are similar..
the cable gets routed thru the door where the mirror gets fastened and then goes forward.(on my vette there are two covers that are near the door hinges),remove the top cover.If you look in there,there should be 2 hole next to each other,the cable gets routed thru those holes,in the farther and out the nearer.and gets mounted in the door
I took a pic from my assembly manual to help you.

On the upper black trim forward of the pull handle in the center there is a dimple in the center of the trim piece, well on factory door panels there is, not sure if aftermarket panels have the dimple. This is the center of the hole where the adjuster was installed from at factory and will require more work cutting a hole in that black trim. There are advantages having the adjuster there vs. a dealer installation where the adjuster is where the window handle would have been with no power windows. When it’s above, factory install it is set it and forget it, when it is dealer install you will find getting in the car sometimes your leg will bump the adjuster handle and you will have to re adjust after getting in. My mirrors were dealer installed and I have found this to be true with others also. But I personally like the look better down below vs. above and not cutting up the door panel. The cable is long enough to be mounted as the assembly manual shows upper or lower.

Brian

Great thanks alot. I thought that maybe the cable would run thru that area. I will have to look and see about that dimple and cutting the panel. Looks like the screws attache themselves to the door panel itself. My chrome piece has a long tube in the back where the screws go. Does that make sense.

What size are those screws if anybody knows. Maybe I have the wrong chrome piece to attach it.

thank you very much for the pics that help alot.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom