Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sport Mirrors?

LanceB

Corvette
My dads 75 is almost done with the repaint. For some reason his had the sport mirrors on it when we bought it. No option list I have seen had these and I assumed that the prior owner put them on when they replaced the urethane bumpers with fiberglass ones.

the body shop guy just called me because he is getting ready to put the chrome ones on (we bought) but he is telling me the sport ones look like they were installed from the factory. What do you guys think?

My '73 has them but they were not listed as an option for that year. My brother had bought the car in the early 80's and they were on it then.

My dads 75 is almost done with the repaint. For some reason his had the sport mirrors on it when we bought it. No option list I have seen had these and I assumed that the prior owner put them on when they replaced the urethane bumpers with fiberglass ones.

the body shop guy just called me because he is getting ready to put the chrome ones on (we bought) but he is telling me the sport ones look like they were installed from the factory. What do you guys think?

So do these have interior controls or just hang outside and get a manual adjustment?
Its my understanding that they came with one mirror on the outside from the factory for the driver and the passenger side was a dealer installed option that was readily available at the time of original purchase ( this would refer to earlier sharks).
I bought my '73 with one chrome mirror and with the blind spot from the rear over my right shoulder, It didn't take me long to buy the other mirror.I bought a 2 pack so they would both be the same after 30 plus years and they took me less than an hour to install both.
To me its a personal choice of whether you want them painted or chrome...unless it is going to be a judged car.
Good luck :thumb
TheCorvette2.jpg

I think you are right about only having the one side mirror as standard equipment. I thought Lance was referring to the chrome mirror vs. the sport or "bullet type" which did first become available in '77. The drivers side on mine is cable controlled.

Well that is the strange thing about the sport mirrors on this 75. they have the interior manual levers to move them around just like my brothers 77. So the body shop guy said unless they changed out the doors (or something) he said it looked factory. We like the chrome mirror look, so planning on just leaving the cable and lever intact and will put the bullet mirrors in storage. Just thought it would be strange for someone to go through that much trouble to install the sport mirrors. All the information I have looked at said they came out in 77 as an option too.

A lil more info...chrome mirrors had a small head 68 thru 74 and a larger head 75 thru 79 and definately no inside remote control until 1977 on the sport mirrors...

My '74 had sport mirrors; left hand cable control; right hand manual. They looked factory, but were not listed as an option.

:)

My 76 had a chrome mirrow on the drivers side, so I bought the sport mirrors and added them myself. They were not an option until 77. Yes the driver's side does operate with the control inside, which I did install myself.

I wimped out when I replaced my door panels and didn't run the cable for the mirror. Figured I was the only one driving it and didn't want to screw up the panel. Did you use a hole saw? Did you cut from the front or back side of the panel?

Does the chrome side mirrors have the same mounting bolts (and space between them) as the sport mirrors? Maybe you can see some changes if the space is different between the chrome and sport mirrors. :)

Greetings Peter

Custom Suppliers - Where are they?

I'm bringing my 1980 back to life as a street beast - one of a kind. Where do I find the customer suppliers?;help

I got mine at Mid america Motorworks...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom