Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sputters & misses

TomTom72, Have you checked the Coverter's?? If not Check them!!!the one on Rich side May be getting Restricked!! Making Opp side Lean! And a ECM sometimes won't tell on it's self,if it's bad!!:upthumbs junk!!

Hi Junk, Thank you for your thought! I thought about the converters but on a ZR-1 they are part of exhaust manifold...welded to it. I don't know how I could check them without cutting them off of the exhaust manifolds. The fac made them that way, that isn't some mod that was done later. Kinda seems a strange way to assemble an exhaust from the factory. GM says if the converters go, you buy new exhaust manifolds! I don't think so!

Any ideas short of using the cutting torch?

Tom

Hey Tom, did you check the resistance of the secondary injectors, or only the primaries? It seems since they are used less, that the secondaries might be more susceptible to failing. Also, have you tried a tank of injector cleaner like Techron just to see?

Hi Aurora40,
I used a couple bottles of techron & no soap. The shop I brought it to checked the ohms after the motor was hot, thru the ECM harness and the results were not good. The readings were 12 ohms but the tech said it should have been higher since the test was done thru the ECM harness. It's kind of by default because the scan only showed the bad integrator #'s and the Block learn # were not good either. I have the RC's in hand so I figure that and the leaking vacuum sys and the leaking breather box, coils, wires & temp sender are all getting changed. I have the parts & it don't make any sense to pay the shop to pull the plenum to just change injectors and leave the rest of the old stuff. I know it isn't exactly the correct way but I got no where to work so I got to get the max for my $.

Tom

I don't know if you were there when he did it or not, but just FYI. You have to pull connectors off the secondary relays to test the secondaries, you can't do it just from the ECM harness (that I'm aware of). So it might be he was just testing the primaries again? Just a thought. Interesting about the values. Mine were all around 13 ohms when I tested through the harness. Though I don't know that mine are exactly fine either. :)

Hi Aurora40,
Yes & no. I was there and no we didn't do the secondaries. The reason was that if it was his opinion that it was the injectors I already had the full set of RC's & they were going in anyway. It was his opinion that the coils were shorting as the condition got worse as the car got hotter, not that the water temp got to 200* ++ , you know up around the end of the gauge. The miss got worse the hotter the plenum got.

I don't know how you would check the ohms on hot injectors as you have to pull the plenum. I was taught never take apart a hot motor. Maybe I was taught wrong? I doubt that I would ever attempt to take apart a hot aluminum motor. We never pulled apart power heads on O/Board motors unless they were stone cold. Like I said maybe I was taught wrong.

Anyway, I may never know for sure because I have every part that goes under there, except for the DIS module that's on the underside of the plenum. So it's all getting replaced.:D

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom