Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Squeaky Brakes on new '04!!!???

W

Wisdom

OK, this nice car with ~5300 miles on it has intermittent brake squeaks fron the right front unit (as near as I can tell) with light or moderate pressure applied. For instance, riding the brake to go over speed bumps or pulling into the garage will get a brake squeal. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen often enough that it's irritating. Doesn't seem to matter if the rotor is hot or cold, but the squeal only occurs at low speeds. No pulling, just noise. Any ideas? Is this normal?

- Wisdom

had the same thing with my '03 Z06.....changed to ceramic pads and no more brake noise :D

;) warranty time........enjoy warrarty time for all it's worth...........;) .

Yeah, warranty time... my brakes squeal, my rear speakers are not as loud as my front anymore (48 years old - who'd a thought I'd ever complain about that!), and the two left plastic fasteners that hold the plastic overhead piece in place are missing... other than that, it's still a nice car!

Problem is, my salesman and the dealership believe that I got him in the deal we worked. I think we broke even, all things considered, otherwise neither party would have signed the sales contract! So I don't necessarily feel comfortable taking the vehicle to that same dealership for service. I mean, it's not that I don't trust them or anything...

- Wisdom

Wisdom said:
OK, this nice car with ~5300 miles on it has intermittent brake squeaks fron the right front unit (as near as I can tell) with light or moderate pressure applied. For instance, riding the brake to go over speed bumps or pulling into the garage will get a brake squeal. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen often enough that it's irritating. Doesn't seem to matter if the rotor is hot or cold, but the squeal only occurs at low speeds. No pulling, just noise. Any ideas? Is this normal?

- Wisdom
Before you change the pads, make a few high speed stops in rapid succession, on a traffic-free road. At the end of each stop, do not sit with your foot on the brake. Perhaps the pads were improperly bedded when new.

Wisdom, don't know about the deal you worked; however, there are other dealers in a town as large as Houston. (Maybe not as close to you, but there are other choices.) If the present dealer is the most competent, then, that is another story....

Thanks for the idea Bill, I'll try that - my wife will love it! ;)

Cavettefan - there are actually quite a few dealerships selling Vettes in Houston. Problem is that I'm 22 miles south of the city. I bought mine at Demontrond in the Texas City area, although I may bring it to Norman Frede in Clear Lake for service since it's closer to where I work.

How can I tell if a dealership has Corvette certified mechanics employed? Is there something specific that I need to look or ask for? Do dealerships let any of their mechanics work on the vehicles? Or are their mechanics certified for a specific type of vehicle?

- Wisdom

Had the same problem, 02 with 10,000km whent to the dealer who said that brake squeal is normal for GM's including corvettes. I said well for an 85,000 dollar car I don't think it should be normal. Well by calling GM Canada helped out, they gave me no problem at all. From there they tried to fix the problem by first changing the front pads.. still noise, then they tried the back pads still noise..., then they machined the front rotors.... still noise, then i got fed up of going back and fourth so i said change all the rotors, and they did. Well after all that the noise was gone. WELL every once in a while it would give me a little squeel but nothing that would really **** me off. Anyway's if they really bother you and the dealer won't help you out just call GM and they should help you out. I think GM has one of the best warranty's, they try to help the customer as best they can.

GOOD LUCK!

I hope Norman Frede is better now than when I lived down there 3 years ago. I had a lot of problems with them.
After the warrantee ran out on my 96, I started using a little garage in League City called Richard & Son - near the intersection of 2014 and hwy 3. My daughter still uses them also.

Thanks Tuna, once the warranty runs out I'll likely use a shop called Taylor Automotive in Dickinson. He's into drag racing in a big way - I think his business basically gives him a shop to work on his hobby or alternate business. But he knows what he's doing and I'm comfortable leaving a vehicle there. Trying to find a good dealer for warranty work is always a pain, it doesn't matter what the vehicle make is.

If the high speed stops don't cure it, then I'll try the warranty approach. I still need warranty work for the rear speakers anyway.

- Wisdom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom