Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

St Louis Build Sheets Vs Bowling Green

hunt4cleanair

Corvette
1978 SA L48 & MIL Yel C5 Conv
I posted this question on the Corvette Forum and it was suggested I post here. I did do a search and came across IrishPoker's posting of his 1981 build sheet that helped to answer my question.

I wanted to know if the VIN on St Louis 1981 build sheets was typed or printed. I knew from copies I have that BG build sheets came printed and pre-assigned.

But I also see that the VIN sequence is incomplete on the St Louis build sheets and curious what others have found that have been so fortunate to discover their 1981 St Louis Corvette build sheet.

I'm updating an article I wrote a few years ago on Late Model C3 Build Sheets and will get into the analysis of broadcast codes by model year 1973-1982. I make the case that 1981 is a milestone in terms of data display on build sheets and the introduction of the seventeen digit VIN which continues today.

comments and discussion appreciated.

My St. Louis built car has a id number in the upper right of the tank sticker. Only the last 6 digits are shown and is a different style of type than the rest of the sheet. My guess is that the number was asigned as the car went down the assm. line but who knows

My St. Louis built car has a id number in the upper right of the tank sticker. Only the last 6 digits are shown and is a different style of type than the rest of the sheet. My guess is that the number was asigned as the car went down the assm. line but who knows

The last six digits were typed onto the build sheet at the trim tag station with a Times New Roman font and typewriter. Trim tag station in St Louis was located between 1st and 2nd paint booth. Copies were than distributed to the various assembly lines to track the various assemblies that would eventually marry the body.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom