Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Standing water in gas tank reservoir

Jessica19699

Corvette
1998 Jet black coupe
Hello CAC friends I have a question of no importance just one in general my 92 corvette has the gas tank spout on top of the backside of the car of course. My question is when it rains water will collect in the reservoir under the tank flap where the gas cap is and sometime it has collected enough that if I take the cap off water will run into the tank (which I don't want of course) and also in winter that water will freeze and make getting the gas cap off nearly impossible,currently I been taking napkins at the gas station when this happens and soaking the water up until it is below the gas cap line is there anyway something can be done to keep water from building up in there maybe making a drain hole etc. or am I just stuck with absorbing the water out of it like I have been? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Hello CAC friends I have a question of no importance just one in general my 92 corvette has the gas tank spout on top of the backside of the car of course. My question is when it rains water will collect in the reservoir under the tank flap where the gas cap is and sometime it has collected enough that if I take the cap off water will run into the tank (which I don't want of course) and also in winter that water will freeze and make getting the gas cap off nearly impossible,currently I been taking napkins at the gas station when this happens and soaking the water up until it is below the gas cap line is there anyway something can be done to keep water from building up in there maybe making a drain hole etc. or am I just stuck with absorbing the water out of it like I have been? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

C4 Corvette Cutaway Fuel Filler Maintenance - YouTube

First minute of this video might be of some help.

Otter,

I went to YouTube site directly and looked at this video and it shows a drain tube in the first min as you were saying I should watch the first min,i'm pretty sure mine don't have one of these and now i'm questioning why. I'm going to have to double check when I get home to make sure there isn't one and if it is that it isn't clogged, if there isn't one is there anyway way of me adding this drain tube myself?

Jessica. It is normally located in the center - bottom of the rubber piece, at the lowest point. If you remove the rear license plate you can look up in there to see the tube.....It's a piece of (about)3/8" hose hanging down there about 15" long. If you aren't really looking for it; You'll never see it. If need be you could always drill a hole in the rubber and fit one yourself with a length of hose and a 3/8" type union fitting. Just silicone it in there. The purpose of the hose is just so water doesn't sit on top of the gas tank and rust it. But....Water ends up on top of the tank anyway. So you could probably just drill a hole in the rubber piece. It's up to you.
When I put a new gas tank in my '90 last year I rigged a new drain hose. I replaced the rubber grommet and the replacement did NOT come with a hole for the drain hose. So maybe at some point, yours was replaced.
But the tanks will eventually rust out anyway along the side bevels where the rear tires throw water up in there., so I painted the new tank before I put it in. Plus, "Believe ME!" Changing the fuel tank is a "BEAR" of a job. So do what you can to protect it.
Good Luck.

Jessica. It is normally located in the center - bottom of the rubber piece, at the lowest point. If you remove the rear license plate you can look up in there to see the tube.....It's a piece of (about)3/8" hose hanging down there about 15" long. If you aren't really looking for it; You'll never see it. If need be you could always drill a hole in the rubber and fit one yourself with a length of hose and a 3/8" type union fitting. Just silicone it in there. The purpose of the hose is just so water doesn't sit on top of the gas tank and rust it. But....Water ends up on top of the tank anyway. So you could probably just drill a hole in the rubber piece. It's up to you.
When I put a new gas tank in my '90 last year I rigged a new drain hose. I replaced the rubber grommet and the replacement did NOT come with a hole for the drain hose. So maybe at some point, yours was replaced.
But the tanks will eventually rust out anyway along the side bevels where the rear tires throw water up in there., so I painted the new tank before I put it in. Plus, "Believe ME!" Changing the fuel tank is a "BEAR" of a job. So do what you can to protect it.
Good Luck.

Don, thanks so much for the info I been so busy the last few days I forgot to look to see if the hole was even there but I will check it today when I get off work and it is good to know that I can make a hole and tube setup if one isn't already there and I sure will keep an eye on the gas tank itself that is something I surely don't want to happen, thanks again I will post back and let you know what I find or do with it. :happyanim:

Otter and Don,

Turns out there is a drain tube in there already it was majorly clogged though and had some debris covering it as to why I didn't see it, I did manage to unclog it and all the water drained out as it should thanks to both you guys for your replies even though this wasn't a major issue (thank god) it still helps that people address even the smallest of issue's on here.

Thanks again,
Jessica

Glad it worked out Jes. Free fixes are great! Doesn't happen very often on a Vette. :happyanim::beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom