Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Starter Harness Help

goingballistic

Corvette
1981 Beige Coupe
Just ordered a new starter harness and am trying to get it in. Stupid me :crazy didn't mark the wires when I pulled it out, it's frayed beyond recognition so no idea where things connect. Attached is a pic of the harness. Anyone got any ideas where the wires go?

Thanks

img_5373.jpg

The red wires with thermal switches on them go on the Battery stud (on top of baterry cable terminal). The purple wire goes on the terminal marked "S"of solenoid. And oh yeah, the black goes on the tranny bellhousing (refer to the first image I posted). :upthumbs

View attachment 10959

GerryLP:cool

Not to sound completetly stupid here :crazy but the drawings are hard to read....thanks by the way, my assy guide is lousy for this stuff.

It appears that the "red" wire would go directly to the starter motor. That one seems pretty straight forward.

The "purple" wire goes to the coil above the starter.

The "black" wire goes to ground ( frame or Chassis)

and the "blue" wire........goes to a temp sensor on the block? If so what sensor, this is a brand new block not stock, if there is supposed to be a sensor there what is it? and where does it go?

Thanks, Paul.

In post #2 above, it shows how the components are physically connected. Post #3 shows how the components are connected electrically.

I believe that my stock harness does not have that "blue" wire. Also, the blue wire is not mentioned in the images I posted which are straight out of the repair manual.

Yeah, I apologize about the image quality. Sometimes the file size limit and file type work against you.

goingballistic said:
It appears that the "red" wire would go directly to the starter motor. That one seems pretty straight forward.

The "purple" wire goes to the coil above the starter.

All the wires go on the solenoid. The red wire to the "BAT" post on the solenoid. The purple to the "S" post on the solenoid. The "M" post connects to the starter motor itself.

You could contact your harness supplier and verify that it is the correct harness, maybe?;shrug

GerryLP, in post number 2 if you look closely at the drawing ( near the "C" marker, above the word "battery") there is a plug that exits the starter harness and appears to be the "blue" plug above in the picture I posted. I am assuming that the wires exiting at that point connect to a sensor, look closely at the drawing, it looks like a Temp switch of some kind.........any idea?

The harness is the correct one for an 81 and is identical to the one I pulled out.......which was hammered, hence the replacement.

Paul.

Yeah! Yeah! I see what you mean.

I went to my garage and retrieved the harness from my storage box, and you're right! The blue wire is there. It has a single connector and also it has a compannion ground leg that connects at the ground washer terminal (black wire) that connects to the tranny bell-housing. I see it now.

The temperature switch is the one that goes in the RH cylinder head port between the #6 and #8 cylinder. This is the switch that controls the auxiliary electric fan that sits behind the radiator. When the temperature reaches 225 Deg F (I believe) the switch closes and directs juice to the fan.

My memory failed me again, and I had to dig-up the old harness to visualize it. Good eye! :upthumbs

Thanks man I thought I was loosing my mind...........any idea what that switch is called..........I would assume I'll need to order one from Mid A.

Thanks again for the help and time......:beer

It is called an engine temperature switch, the circuit operation description is in page 8A-81 of shop manual, and here is a link for it on Corvette-Central:http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?userwatch~dynamicSearchPage~cadefibG

The CorvetteCentral P/N is 303171. Also, I believe that there is a kit available that lets you wire a switch that can turn on the auxiliary fan at your own convenience.

P.S. IAW the shop manual, the switch closes when the temperature reaches approx. 238 Deg F and it opens again when it drops to approx. 201 Deg F.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom