Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Starter heat soak

P

page62

I took my '79 out for a 50-mile freeway run to see how it would handle the heat. The A/C was on and I was running 75-80 mph @ 3500+ rpm.

Whew! The engine compartment sure did get hot, and the temp. gauge went north of 220 degrees. But no problems, but there was one more test...

When I got home, I parked the car in the garage, waited a few minutes, and tried to restart the car. Nothing. Waited and hour and it started right up. Yes, I have a heat soak problem.

What's the best solution? Do the insulating blankets work? Or should I get a mini-starter? Any other ideas?

I went with the exhaust wrap and it seems to work well. when I replace the starter this weekend (for other reasons) I'll install the blanket. I've heard the fixed metal shields work well also.

Carlo

They make a metal heatsheild that bolts to your starter for somewhere around $20-$25

The blankets I would think cause moisture then rust, you are talking about wrapping the exhaust right?

The mini-stater is a nice option too at around a hundred bucks

You can also do the official GM "field fix" which is to remove the solenoid and there is a return spring inside. Clip a couple of windings off of the return spring and re-install the solenoid. That should take care of the problem. I don't remember exactly how many windings you should remove. You can do a search for "starter" or "heat soak" and you should come across another reply I posted that has more detail.

Russ

Also check your grounds while under there. There is a Ground wire (that looks like a battery cable) that bolts to the main frame near the starter, then to the front end frame that I recently found badly burnt and in need of replacement. Since I replaced it, no more slow starts when warm or other "Heat Soak" indications.

Steve :w

Page..... I used the metal shield on my '72. It gave me fits with that problem. The '81 has never given me trouble even with the headers. Go with the metal shield and stay away from the blanket. Good Luck.

......... Nut

I went with a mini-starter from Summit or JEG's, cost was $150 and a metal shield at a cost of $20-25. No problems since and I've had to remove replace the starter several times for various other reasons and it takes 5 minutes if I move slow.

Corvette World in Greensburg,PA., shows a starter solenoid shield for small block model years 75-82, part #7117 for $10.00(catalog #15,not sure how old this is)It also doesnt show a picture, so I have no way of knowing if it is a metal one or a blanket. You might want to call them at 1-724-837-8600 or www.corvettedept.com

page62 said:
Where can I get a metal shield???

Summit, JEG's, and any good local speed shop. I believe it's made by Moroso.

Remote Solenoid from Summit, $25. Have one on every old Chevy I have ever owned. You and mount it high and use it for an accessory tie in as well. Also makes hooking up a remote starter a snap. Check it out!

You could do a few things-
1- Put in a lower thermostat
2- Wrap your sarter in heat barrier material
3- put in a mini-starter designed for high temps

Heat soak is one of the most annoying problems I ever faced. Here in Kansas, it gets upwards of 108 degrees. I have never had a problem with the OEM starter and I run a 165 thermostat.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom