Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Starter question concerning different size flexplates

TWINRAY

Corvette
'67 Goodwood Green Coupe, '69 Lemans Blue Roadster
I've seen starter advertisments that say you could use "such and such" starter on SB motors with either the 150 ish or 160 ish flexplate. How can the same starter engage both a 12.x" flexplate and the larger 14" flexplate? This is probably a simple question:ugh

I've seen starter advertisments that say you could use "such and such" starter on SB motors with either the 150 ish or 160 ish flexplate. How can the same starter engage both a 12.x" flexplate and the larger 14" flexplate? This is probably a simple question:ugh

It can't. With stock-type starters, the 12-3/4" 153-tooth flexplate requires a starter nose with the attaching bolts directly across from each other, and the 14" 168-tooth flexplate requires a starter nose with the attaching bolts located diagonally from each other. That said, some of the aftermarket "hot-rod" geared starters are adjustable to fit either type, although there's no reason to use them.

:beer

It can't. With stock-type starters, the 12-3/4" 153-tooth flexplate requires a starter nose with the attaching bolts directly across from each other, and the 14" 168-tooth flexplate requires a starter nose with the attaching bolts located diagonally from each other. That said, some of the aftermarket "hot-rod" geared starters are adjustable to fit either type, although there's no reason to use them.

:beer

12-3/4" 153-tooth "requires a starter nose with the attaching bolts directly across from each other"

Thanks John,
I've decided to keep it simple and use then my "orig" starter on my ZZ4 motor. I was thinking of getting one of the :thumb fancy gear reduction starters but decided I could put the $200+ to other stuff I need.

Regards, Fred

Attachments

• new piece welded on.jpg
    new piece welded on.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 101
  • oem vs modified converter cover.jpg
    oem vs modified converter cover.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 116
  • new starter with new cover.jpg
    new starter with new cover.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 102

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom