Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

starter safety switch

Bryan Williams

Corvette
1976 white coupe
I have a 76 manual transmission that will not start. I had some issues with it turning over after the 3rd or 4th time, but now I get nothing. I assume it's the starter safety switch, but I don't know how to check this or bi-pass if possible. Can anyone help with the spot check or give me any other reason this would happen. Thanks

Well, you can start at the starter, and work your way back to the switch. With the car OUT OF GEAR, cross the leads at the solenoid, to make sure the starter actually works, then just follow the wiring back to the switch, until you find where the problem is.

A good wiring diagram is a must!

These wiring colors are for a 1977 Corvette and I am sure they will be the same for the 1976 model.
FOR YOUR SAFETY!
MAKE SURE THE TRANSMISSION IS IN THE NATURAL POSITION WITH REAR WHEELS OFF THE GROUND!
The starter safety switch or Clutch Start Switch is located on the clutch pedal bracket. There will be a connector that plugs into the switch with 2 wires. These should be a solid purple wire and a purple with white stripe wire. The purple with white strip wire should be hot when the ignition switch is turned to the start position. This should be checked first to make sure you even have power from the ignition switch. A ohm meter can be used if you have one and clipped to each connection of the switch. The ohm meter should read O/L now and when clutch pedal is pushed in the switch should close completing the circuit. If you dont have a ohm meter then you can make a jumper wire and jumper the purple and purple with white stripe wire. This is now a direct connection bypassing the clutch start switch. When you release the ignition switch from the start position power will drop off of the purple with white stripe wire.
Brian

Here's where to look for the clutch safety switch - this is a Camaro, but the Corvette installation is similar.

:beer

Thanks for the info. You were dead on with the wire color and location. Unfortunetely it didn't fix my problem. I still cant get it to start. If you have any other ideas of what could be the problem I would love some feedback. The car was running when I moved the hot wire going to the coil and the car just shut off. After that the car will not start. All of the fuses are good and I'm getting power to both the coil as well as the starter, but the will not even give me click when I turn the key. Any info would be great. Thanks, Bryan .
These wiring colors are for a 1977 Corvette and I am sure they will be the same for the 1976 model.
FOR YOUR SAFETY!
MAKE SURE THE TRANSMISSION IS IN THE NATURAL POSITION WITH REAR WHEELS OFF THE GROUND!
The starter safety switch or Clutch Start Switch is located on the clutch pedal bracket. There will be a connector that plugs into the switch with 2 wires. These should be a solid purple wire and a purple with white stripe wire. The purple with white strip wire should be hot when the ignition switch is turned to the start position. This should be checked first to make sure you even have power from the ignition switch. A ohm meter can be used if you have one and clipped to each connection of the switch. The ohm meter should read O/L now and when clutch pedal is pushed in the switch should close completing the circuit. If you dont have a ohm meter then you can make a jumper wire and jumper the purple and purple with white stripe wire. This is now a direct connection bypassing the clutch start switch. When you release the ignition switch from the start position power will drop off of the purple with white stripe wire.
Brian

Do you have a test light?

And a friend.... have them turn the key as you probe...

Sharpen the point on the tester ( you know the kind, 12 volt bulb inside.. clip lead to ground sharp pointy bit to poke thru the insulation on the wire.)

Check if you have power in the START position to any of these wires
( purple or purple white ).

If I remember.... there are a cluster of wires over the A/C box ( in 79's might be the same for yours ).. these connections get toasty over the years... and give up the ghost.. Inspect there too~

Vig~

I assume the lights and all that work?

and when you are in the run position.. you have 12V to the coil?

Vig~

If you have 12+ VDC when the ignition switch is turned to the start position at the starter solenoid on terminal “S” where the solid purple wire is connected your start circuit is completed.
There is also a ground cable connected to the starter or starter brace to the engine block. This cable has to be clean and tight.
Take a end wrench and tap on the starter solenoid. Maybe the starter solenoid has not returned to its home position.
Brian

There should be 2 fusable links between the starter and the engine block. Id check them to be sure they didnt fry themselves.
zachh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom