Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Starter will not disengage??

aebcpama

Corvette
2010 Black ZR1, 2000 Convertible
This past weekend when I started my 2000 C5 with 36000 miles the starter would not disengage.
Even when I turned the key off if kept cranking. When I ran for a wrench to disconnect the battery
it finally let go. I waited an hour before trying to restart it and it happened again. This time when I revved it up a little it let go. I drove home and parked it.
At first I was thinking it needed a new solenoid but after asking some mechanics they are thinking
maybe the ignition switch or the starter relay? Is the starter relay also known as the TDR( theft deterrent relay)? Before I tear into this I wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem?
Thanks!

Stick or automatic?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The switch on the clutch pedal can keep the starter engaged

Locate it and when the problem occurs unplug it and see if the starter disengaged

Any mods on the vehicle, a- mkt alarm, remote start, stereo, etc?

Make sure your battery load tests good, low voltage with high current draw can sometimes weld the starter contacts together. With your low miles a battery could be bad, even if it's new, test it.

Battery is a red top Optima and is kep on a C-tek charger when not used.
I think the battery is strong but I'll check it. Thanks for the lead!

Worked on car today, car started without any problem today. Took the floor panel off to check on TDR
and clutch switch. Under the car, starter bolts were tight, nothing looked burned. Kooks long tube headers collector is close the starter. Checked all codes, nothing to indicate a starter problem.
I'm thinking since electrical current continued to be supplied to the starter after releasing the key from the start position, is it possible the key switch is malfunctioning? Or is there another way juice can be energizing the starter after releasing the key from start?

Pull up the wiring schematic for the starting system, that would give you some answers!

"Checking codes" will tell you little or nothing about this problem.

Unless you find that ignition switch is sticking in "start", I'd be looking for a faulty starter solenoid.

Worked on car today, car started without any problem today. Took the floor panel off to check on TDR
and clutch switch. Under the car, starter bolts were tight, nothing looked burned. Kooks long tube headers collector is close the starter. Checked all codes, nothing to indicate a starter problem.
I'm thinking since electrical current continued to be supplied to the starter after releasing the key from the start position, is it possible the key switch is malfunctioning? Or is there another way juice can be energizing the starter after releasing the key from start?

Look very closely at all the wires at the starter, making sure none are melted from the headers, paying close attention to the purple crank wire and where it bolts to the starter solenoid.

Problem solved

Luckily nothing too problematic!Turned out to be a bad solenoid, likely caused by excessive heat over the years from the headers. It was a pain dropping the exhaust to get the header off to get the starter out but was completed with no drama! And no starter bolt issues!��������y

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom