Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

starter

68corvette

i have a 68 vette with a 327 and automatic trans. i removed the starter and it had a aluminum nose with 2 of the same length bolts (long). the replacement starter has an aluminum nose with one long and one short bolt. it shows that way in my assembly manual.
question: is it okay to use the long and short bolt starter?
thanks, JIM

Jack

Corvette
71 War Bonnet Yellow VERT 71 BH Blue CPE (SOLD)
The long & short of it

Welcome aboard JIM:
Purely a guess ... seems like I ran into that years ago on an old Chevelle. Still guessing, but I cannot envision a problem with the One-long-bolt-starter. Just have a couple starter shims (local parts store) handy. And use grade 8 bolts. Did yours have any shims in it with the old starter? Have you thought about having your old starter rebuilt locally? Just about every town has a guy who rebuilds car starters-alternators-generators. Hang in there ... someone else here will come along with a "real" answer. Let us know how it works out!
JACK:gap

M

Moffitt

As I remember the short\long bolt nose cone is for the same diameter as the two long nose as long as the bolts are in line. If they are short\long in a diagonal pattern they fit the smaller flex plate. Please note, it's been a long time and I may be wrong.
Worse case if it's wrong, the starter pinion either will not clear, or not touch the flexplate.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom