Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Starting Trouble - 81 Vette

drwikboz

Corvette
I'm having starting trouble with my 81, though I'm not sure how much of it is still an 81. Anyway, my first thought was the starter and when I went to get a replacement, the starter for they showed me for an 81 was not like the one I currently had, which is staggered mount. Anyway, that aside, I eventually got a powermaster, but that did not cure my problem.

It started off that the car wouldn't start when hot, but now it doesn't start at all. It looks like the previous owner put headers in and they are close to the starter (hence the powermaster). I have a heat shield around the new starter and have also put fiberglass wrap around the pipes near the starter.

Anyway, the car still doesn't start. It will start right up when jumped however. Can this be a grounding issue? To ward off the obvious, yes, I've checked the battery. Seems like there's a large voltage drop when turning the ignition as well, not sure if this is normal.

What happens when you turn the key? Any noise from the starter, crank but no start etc etc? If the engine starts right up when jumped I would look into the power to the starter and from the starter to the chassis. Try to ground the starter with a cable directly (or extra) to the chassis, check the 12v for the starter.
Sound like the problem is in a very narrow space so not much research to do :)

Groeten Peter

I agree!
check that battery cable - both +/-.
Sometimes the cable rubber will hide a real corroded wire below. You may just need new cables.

I'd check the battery cable ground to the crossmember under the car ;) Disconnect it, steel brush the connector and the spot where it bolts up to.

Bud

What happens when you turn the key? Any noise from the starter, crank but no start etc etc? If the engine starts right up when jumped I would look into the power to the starter and from the starter to the chassis. Try to ground the starter with a cable directly (or extra) to the chassis, check the 12v for the starter.
Sound like the problem is in a very narrow space so not much research to do :)

Groeten Peter

Thanks. I figured it was either a voltage drop from the battery or a bad ground myself, haven't really been able to check either fully as of yet. When I turn the key you just hear one click. The inside lights dim a bit and the voltage indicator drops from near 13 a good bit (can't really tell how much since it goes from 8 - 13, but I would say down to somewhere between 11 and 12).

I've cleaned the ground cables near the starter as well as the chassis where they attach. I've only cleaned the positive cable at the battery and at the starter so far. I will go through and check the cables fully when I have time and report back.

Thanks again

In addition to cleaning the ground cables at the right motor mount and the block, they should have "star" washers on them too. ANd don't forget the battery ground on the frame under the battery box.

In addition to cleaning the ground cables at the right motor mount and the block, they should have "star" washers on them too. ANd don't forget the battery ground on the frame under the battery box.

There definitely weren't any star washers at the connections, any particular reason this is necessary?

The star washers have sharp edges and will cut thru minor rust or paint film to ensure a good connection.

Change the battery for another one to test. Maybe the problem is simpler then you think :)

Groeten Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom