Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Starving for Gas

rbjbmbtj1

Corvette
containerTop.gif
[h=1][/h]My 1975 Vette just stop running the other day. It seem like it's not getting fuel. After sitting for 5 mins or so it started up but only for a few seconds. This happened a few times so I had to have it towed. I've been told it's the carb, fuel pump and fuel filter. I plan to change the filter today. What can it be and how can I test it.

Thanks,
Ron B

<tbody>
</tbody>

Check to see if fuel is reaching the carburetor from the fuel pump. And, of course, the otherwise obvious question is whether there is fuel in the tank.
:thumb

The fuel filter is the best place to start. While you have the fuel line disconnected have a helper crank the engine over to check if the pump is pumping. Disconnect the coil wire while you do this. You don't want it to start momentarily and blow gas everywhere. Also use a jar or bottle to squirt the gas in to control it. If you are getting good flow from the pump the filter change should fix it. It's unlikely that the problem is the carb. Sometimes a needle can stick in the seat but it's rare. If you have good fuel flow out of the pump and have replaced the filter and still no gas in the carb try rapping the carb with a screwdriver handle to jar loose a stuck needle and seat. If the needle was stuck the inside of the carb may be gunkie with varnish from gas evaporating over time and a rebuild will be in order.

If you aren't getting a good strong flow out of the pump check to be sure that fuel is getting to the pump. The filter sock in the fuel tank may be clogged. You can loosen the fuel pump inlet line and see if you have a good flow of gas out of the line. Be sure to have a drain pan to catch the fuel. The tank is higher than the pump so fuel should flow freely. If no flow or just a slow trickle you can try to blow some compressed air back through the line to see if you can dislodge the restriction. Loosen or remove your gas cap when you do this and use low pressure. You don't want to blow the sock off if it's good. You should be able to hear the air bubbling inside the tank when you do this. If that works you may need too replace the sock in the tank or even remove the tank for cleaning and inspection inside. It may be sludge or rust flakes clogging the sock. If it is rusty inside it may be time for a new tank.

So now if you have good fuel flow to the pump but little or none out it's new pump time.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom