Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering box rebuild?

80Vette

Corvette
1980 pearl white vette
Has anyone had their steering box rebuilt?
How much does a steering box rebuild usually cost?

Lastly, should I get the alignment done first before getting the steering box rebuilt?

Thanks in advance.
user_online.gif

Yes... I had VB&P rebuild mine. I got a preliminary price quote over the phone, and then they confirmed a price after inspection. They finished the rebuild in a couple of days --- they did excellent work.

Give them a call (727) 345-5292.

I think there are some forum members that do rebuilds also.

Ralph.

That's right!

Gary (GTR1999) had a great deal on rebuilds. I had already sent mine out to VB&P, and would have taken Gary up on his offer.

Try to PM or email him.

Hi there,
I just back here after Carlisle and can answewr your questons on boxes. You can get them rebuild form several places and I can certainly do the same if you want. The difference in my work is I blueprint the boxes not just rebuild them. This intails machining bushing to fit your pitman shaft and setting up tolerences to the tight end.
For example, a typical stock box, even when new has about .010 side play in the bushings and .007-.010 gap in the lash screw. I set the side play to .002-.003 max and the lash gap to under .002" This along with the bearing preload and correct lash setting on center makes the difference. I offer several options for finished on the box as well. I think they are the best built boxes on the market but I'll let the owner make that decision once on the car.
I haven't used the rack & pinion setups or the Jeep boxes. I'm sure if they are correctly setup they'll work fine but the stock box fits without any mods or fabricating, is relaible and just looks right in the car.
If you have access to a surface grinder and lathe I can tell how to build your own box as well. The big thing with these is to be sure the gears are still good and reusable. They are getting expensive and hard to find.

If I can be of further help let me know. I have posted many pictures on another forum if you visit them I have the same ID gtr1999

Good luck with your car,
Gary

Let Gary do it, his work is excellent, he's a pleasure to work with, and the end product is beautiful!

How do you tighten up slack in the box? I know you adjust the lash nut, but Im not sure of the excact method. By the way the box is in my 1980 L82. Thanks in advance for any advice.

The lash adjustment is written in several manuals and most state to use a "fish" scale on the steering wheel to get the correct load. I wouldn't use this method as it not accurate enough for me. The best way and the way I do it is to use a 0-30 inch/pound dial torque wrench with the box out of the car in a vise. You may be able to get some adjustment in a stock box but the internals are sloppy from day one so sometimes you can't. This assumes the gears are still good as well.
Now I have heard and read for years how guys have just tightened down the lash and they were good to go. Yes this will tighten the box but if you are not checking it lock to lock for the on center setting you have no idea where it is. I've had boxes come in that were out of original cars with less then 50k miles and the gears were shot because of previous improper adjustment.
If I can be of further help let me know, good luck.
Gary

Hi there,
I can answewr your questons on boxes. You can get them rebuild form several places and I can certainly do the same if you want. .........If I can be of further help let me know. I have posted many pictures on another forum if you visit them I have the same ID gtr1999

Good luck with your car,
Gary

Gary, thank you so much. I really appreciate the forethought & honesty.
As soon as the weather turns south here in Oregon (rain for 7 months straight) I'll call you.

Thanks again,
Andy

No problem Andy, let me know if you need help. Enjoy what's left of the season.

Gary

Lastly, should I get the alignment done first before getting the steering box rebuilt?

If you are up for it they are not that hard to rebuild - the trickiest part I found was finding a sensitive in-lbs torque wrench. Manual is at corvettefaq or in your overhaul manual.

I suggest having the allignment done afterwards if it needs it.

Hi there,
I just back here after Carlisle and can answewr your questons on boxes. You can get them rebuild form several places and I can certainly do the same if you want. The difference in my work is I blueprint the boxes not just rebuild them. This intails machining bushing to fit your pitman shaft and setting up tolerences to the tight end.
For example, a typical stock box, even when new has about .010 side play in the bushings and .007-.010 gap in the lash screw. I set the side play to .002-.003 max and the lash gap to under .002" This along with the bearing preload and correct lash setting on center makes the difference. I offer several options for finished on the box as well. I think they are the best built boxes on the market but I'll let the owner make that decision once on the car.
I haven't used the rack & pinion setups or the Jeep boxes. I'm sure if they are correctly setup they'll work fine but the stock box fits without any mods or fabricating, is relaible and just looks right in the car.
If you have access to a surface grinder and lathe I can tell how to build your own box as well. The big thing with these is to be sure the gears are still good and reusable. They are getting expensive and hard to find.

If I can be of further help let me know. I have posted many pictures on another forum if you visit them I have the same ID gtr1999

Good luck with your car,
Gary

Do you still rebuild steering boxes? I just bought a 1969 in Bristol CT. LMK. Steve :)

Yes still rebuilding boxes, arms, diff's. You can call me at 203-776-2813 x139 and I can go over any questions you have.
Gary

Don't do it.

I rebuilt my entire power steering and looking in retrospect, I wouldn't do it again. Its now done and works great, but then that's after spending more money than if I had purchase rebuilt components in the first place. The power steering box is the hardest component to rebuild and the reason why is that it requires you to set the backlash and preload setting with a inch pound torque wrench. Shall I go on? Bottom line, is that its not worth the effort to rebuild any of the steering components - just buy rebuilt parts from a reputable dealer. Look, you're not going to let your car down if you don't rebuild the parts yourself. If you want some names of reputable people I can give them to you. By the way Gary is one of them.

I rebuilt my entire power steering and looking in retrospect, I wouldn't do it again. Its now done and works great, but then that's after spending more money than if I had purchase rebuilt components in the first place. The power steering box is the hardest component to rebuild and the reason why is that it requires you to set the backlash and preload setting with a inch pound torque wrench. Shall I go on? Bottom line, is that its not worth the effort to rebuild any of the steering components - just buy rebuilt parts from a reputable dealer. Look, you're not going to let your car down if you don't rebuild the parts yourself. If you want some names of reputable people I can give them to you. By the way Gary is one of them.

I will say that all boxes are not built the same. I have seen some pretty poor work come my way from guys who purchased from auction sites or even from some rebuilders. Things such as no parts replaced, over greased, reused worn out gears, welded worn out gears, gear installed upside down to try and make them work are some of what I've seen with "rebuilt" boxes on the market these days.

With the corvette, 63-82, the boxes were the same for both power and manual. The same for the rag joints. The pitman arms were different and the control valve used with the ps setup often has issues. A lot of the valves that are on the market aren't what some expect either. If you do need a control valve I would buy a new vs rebuilt. For a box, well I'm pretty biased I guess, but the ones I build are unlike anyone else's.

I will say that all boxes are not built the same. I have seen some pretty poor work come my way from guys who purchased from auction sites or even from some rebuilders. Things such as no parts replaced, over greased, reused worn out gears, welded worn out gears, gear installed upside down to try and make them work are some of what I've seen with "rebuilt" boxes on the market these days.

With the corvette, 63-82, the boxes were the same for both power and manual. The same for the rag joints. The pitman arms were different and the control valve used with the ps setup often has issues. A lot of the valves that are on the market aren't what some expect either. If you do need a control valve I would buy a new vs rebuilt. For a box, well I'm pretty biased I guess, but the ones I build are unlike anyone else's.

I understand. It's probably something I will do in the early winter as I just got the vette and want to drive it before summer is gone. If youre from CT then you know that summers go by in flash.
How much do you charge and what are the details...? I see rebuilt SBs for $140 on eBay ($50 core). You can send me a private email if dont want to post the price...:chuckle

Well it's certainly your choice on what you want to do. I say drive the car for the next couple of months and enjoy it. When you get to the box and if you want the best just call me. I won't build a box like you will find elsewhere. Be very careful on those low priced boxes. They will not have new gears in them and may not have new internals nor will they be fit.

Don't do it!

Thanks in advance.
user_online.gif

Its not worth doing yourself. Buy a rebuilt and drop it in. Wait on the alignment because the steering wheel may need to be straightened.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom