Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering Column Date??

kobi67

Corvette
1967 coupe, 1979 bought new.
Where is the date code on a steering column for a 67? I think I have an early 67 column in my late 67. Thanks, Kurt

It's stamped on the bottom of the bowl section, facing the floor; the first three characters are the julian date, the fourth is the calendar year. :)

Thanks.. I found it where you said.. 349 6. My car is a 6/21/67 built unit. I guess I will need to find the later style column.. Maybe someone else has an early car with a late column and a swap will help both of us.. Kurt

JohnZ, Any idea what the date would be around, when the column was changed in the lower bearing design? Kurt

JohnZ, I was meaning the column date. I see one on Ebay with a 062 7 date. Thinking this would be a late column. The seller says it is an early type. The AIM calls for a new part # in late Feb 67. I was interested in what the column date would be around the time of the change. Any ideas?? Thank, Kurt

Just ask the seller what the bottom end looks like - if it has a long, fluted black plastic spacer and a steel clamp with a nut and bolt, it's the "late" column (photo below). There's also an orange sticker on top of the column where it bolts up to the support with the part number on it - 7802101 is the "early" column, and 7803156 is the "late" column.

:beer

JohnZ, My current column is dated 349 6 with a orange sticker 5698346. It has an early style lower bearing. The number is nothing like you mentioned?? Kurt

Dunno what to tell you - can't find that number anywhere in my references, either for the standard or tele column; "569" prefix numbers were issued by Saginaw Steering Gear, but most are for steering gearboxes and component parts. A 349 6 date is mid-December 1966, which would make it an "early" column, before the change took place at the lower end.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom