Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering Column rebuild

• Thread starter Thread starter PHXVETTE
  • Start date Start date
P

PHXVETTE

Hello all,

I have a 77 that I am going through the interior and freshing things up.

I have hit the point where the steering column stick out and looks like a real POS against the rest of the dash so I figure its time to get into that.

Anyone do this before? I was wondering even what kind of finish the column has when new, I figure its a satin like finish.

Also big question is: Can I get away with not pulling the column out? I read once that in order to get the column apart you need a wheel puller to yank out the internals. It seems then that I dont need to pull the column out. (Let me say that pulling the column is no big deal to me as I have yanked that damn thing out 3 times already, just dont know if I need to do it again if I don't have to.)

Also if anyone has any specs on paint that would work I would appreciate it. If I can say right now that the Performance Choice interior dye/paint is a miracle of science. That stuff has turned my tired old dash into new. The spray itself worked well on the horn however I am a bit worried about the long term durablity of the paint. The patina is a satin black and looks good, but like I said, may not hold up over time.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Hart

-best follow the K.I.S.S. -adage....

-Geeezee, why not keep it simple s--- er ah, my friend; just pull the steering-wheel and the two nearby levers, then just mask-off nearby areas and repaint to your hearts content!! If you are not sure of your aerosol? paint's durability, perhaps cover the satin-black with a final coat or two of clear-satin Valspar brand urethane as a sealer; --and likewise the steering-wheel hub portion... ~Bob vH
:beer

Pulling the actuall steering wheel is easy. You should leave the tilt lever in, as you will need it to actuate the column for full paint coverage. I used semi gloss black on mine, and it looks great.

First however, you need to wash it down to get all the old silicone residue from armor all, etc off of it. A good mineral spirits bath after a soap and water wash will do. Let it dry, then take a mild scotch brite pad and scuff it up. Tape off the interior with masking tape and plastic garbage bags, and or throw an old sheet across the seats, floor, center console, etc.

Shake the can really well, and apply two or three even coats. If you start getting fish eye....stop, reclean, and try again.

the "semi" gloss paint gives you that sleek factory look. Gloss is too strong, and flat will look like poop. Satin and semi are basically the same thing.

Good luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom