Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering Control Valve Problem.

mmvette80

I recently changed the whole front end suspension on my car. I still have the wandering tires. I found the play is in the power steering control valve tire rod joint. Does anyone know how I can fix the problem? I was thinking of welding the joint in a permanent position. Any other advise?

Just a reminder. Corvettes rule. :BOW

Did you check it while the car is running it will be lose if it doesn't have hydraulic pressure behind it.
If the car wanders maybe you have tow out in the front wheels.

The ball joint in the control valvve has too much play in it. I dont think that is has fluid pressure in it. The tires hit the grooves in the road and they pull to the left or right.

The control valve can be rebuilt or aftermarket suppliers sell rebuilt control valves and power steering slave cylinders. VB sells the hoses, control valve, cylinder (all rebuilt and a 5 year warranty .. I think), and power steering fluid for around $150 or so with exchange.

BudD
:w

I see you said you don't think it has pressure on it but it does. When running there is a self centering valve in the power steering unit that is loaded by hydraulic pressure when running. Now if there is play up and down that is a different story then you may have a problem. In all my years of fixing vetts I have never seen that socket where out.

The normal reason for changing all the valves I have replaced is due to fluid leakage which in most cases I have found is due to over greasing.

If you do change it you will need a tool like a pitman arm puller to get the stem of the unit out of the center link.

I still think from what I hear from you that the alignment needs to be checked.

A quick check can be done with string and four jack stands if you want to know how email me.

I buy most of my steering part from Muskegon Brake Good prices and good service. I have dealt with them for at least 10 years.

www.muskegonbrake.com

The kit of 4 hoses, valve and cyl is $160.00

I have 255/60/15 on the car. Ill have to check out the control valve one of these days.

You should be able to move that ball joint around in the control valve. Don't weld it. The joint should be fine if it takes some light effort to move the ball joint stud around. However, if the ball joint stud is rattling around in there and seems to be very loose, then you might have a problem. But this is very unlikely. The power steering system applies no fluid pressure to that ball joint at any time. It moves around so that it can account for any geometry changes between the valve and the rest of the steering linkage when you turn the wheel. Hope this helps.

BTW, if the valve is out of adjustment, it will cause the wheels to steadily turn in one direction or the other.

Good luck.

I just went to the garage pulled a valve off the shelf and it has about 1/8" play that only stabilizes once you put hydraulic pressure on it. The valve is used to shift the pressure from one side of the steering cyl to the other to assist the steering. The play is the movement required move left or right of center to shift that pressure.
Now when I was playing with the valve I do remembered the spring that preloads the two halves of the socket that holds the ball end of the tapered pin if that broke the halves could float allot more.

I checked the control valve and it is the ball joint. The control valve is a rebuilt unit. I'll have to change it again.

Glassman said:
I see you said you don't think it has pressure on it but it does. When running there is a self centering valve in the power steering unit that is loaded by hydraulic pressure when running. Now if there is play up and down that is a different story then you may have a problem. In all my years of fixing vetts I have never seen that socket where out.

The normal reason for changing all the valves I have replaced is due to fluid leakage which in most cases I have found is due to over greasing.

If you do change it you will need a tool like a pitman arm puller to get the stem of the unit out of the center link.

I still think from what I hear from you that the alignment needs to be checked.

A quick check can be done with string and four jack stands if you want to know how email me.

How would overgreasing it cause a leake in the fluid?:confused

[QUOTE='04 Torch Red]How would overgreasing it cause a leake in the fluid?:confused[/QUOTE]

The best answer I can give on that is when to much hydraulic pressure is applied to the fitting it forces the seal backwards an allows dirt or rust to clog the seal which results in a loss of sealing. The only way this could not happen is if the car is running so the seal has some pressure on it from the opposite side.

That's why the rebuilts and new ones now come with the warning on the box or on a tag that greasing them will void the warranty; most don't even have the zerk in them - just a plug in the hole.
:beer

These folk's June 05 ad offers NEW PS Control Valve for $129.99. M-F 8-6, Sat 8-12.
I've never dealt with them but I might give em a try someday.

Contemporary Corvette
2705 Old Rogers Road
Bristol PA 19007
1-800-367-8388

JACK:gap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom