Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering coupler insallation - coulmn too short?

Johan

Corvette
1974 red coupe, 1969 yellow vert
I'm installing the rag joint, but the gap between the coumn shaft and the steering box shaft is a bit too big.
Is there anything I can do to adjust this? The column shaft end to bearing face is 4,5 inches (correct for a 69), so I don't think the coulmn is collapsed. But is there any way to extend it a bit? I have the column out of the car now.

I should add that I have done a frame-off and switched to a new frame, so it is a "new" setup.

I believe that your steering column is collapsible type that collapses during an accident. I just installed a Borgeson steering box. I had to collapse my column to do this installation. They warn that collapsing it to far it is extremely hard to put it back out. Have you tried using longer bolts to pull the too together? I would suggest that you go to the Borgeson website and look at some of the technical articles and videos. Borgeson Universal Company :: Corvette 1963-82 and check out the the universal joints, Vibration Reducers, they might give you some extra length that you need. I have e-mailed them and they are very helpful.

I hope this helps. :beer

Thanks for the input. I have tried to pull the shaft but it seems very firm. I do not want to pull too hard and damage it.
I will try to install the column again and pull the gap together with bolts.
Another soultion might be to extend the shaft somehow, either by installing some extra flange or by cutting it and weld in an extra piece. The splines are not that good in the end so I could need an extra inch to reach the "good" splines.

/Johan

Is the body properly located fore-aft on the new frame? The dimensional relationship between the steering gear attaching holes and the body mounting holes is exactly the same on all '63-'82 frames; the gap between the end of the column shaft and the end of the steering gear input shaft shouldn't be any different now than it was when you took it apart, unless the body isn't located the same way on the frame or something is amiss where the column bolts up under the dash, not allowing the column to move forward to its original position.

:beer

No I'm not sure about the body location. Actually I have two problems, the steering coupler, and the fact that the front left tire is rubbing the fender in the front when turning left (but a correct wheel alignment + the letting the suspension set itself will hopefulle cure that to some extent).
Anyway I have moved the body a good 1/4"-3/8" forward and will see what happens when I install the column tomorrow.

/Johan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom