Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering lock, I just don't get it...

jdeatsch

Corvette
01 Quicksilver vert, 6 speed. 02 Lt Pewter vert.
The 'new' car is an 01, 6 speed. It has the steering lock still enabled.

The build sheet shows a Required Field Action of type RC, 04006, Electronic Column Lock System, posted date "N/A" and status of 'closed'

Huh?

Any thoughts on now what folks?

TIA,

Jim

Sorry for another aggravation with your new ride, Jim. I'm unable to offer a solution because the fix was already done on mine when I purchased her, but I could offer sympathy.

Hang in there and someone will be along soon with more insight/suggestions I'm sure.

:wJane Ann

Sniff, thank you Jane Ann, sniff, the nurturing is appreciated. :L

My 02 already has the mod.

I dinna get it jannow.

Jim

Check for dic codes, then disconnect the battery for 5-10 minutes, charge the battery up to fully charged (test the battery with a load tester if needed to make sure that it is good), connect the battery and see if it unlocks.

I didn't make myself clear it appears. Course... well, you know...

The steering isn't locked up on me now. It's working fine.

I'm concerned that it WILL lock up though, eventually.

Thanks again,

Jim

When your first post stated that you had your column lock enabled, I thought you meant that it was locked. I had the latest recall done multiple times through GM and my aftermarket warranty and still had problems, so spending money to do it would be questionable, but you could have it done if you wanted to. As you stated GM is done with the recalls under any kind of warranty. Keeping your battery fully charged and making sure the battery is good (which is different than being fully charged), and keeping the component grounds clean are your best preventive maintenence for column lock issues. Other than that you (we all are) at the mercy of the system and it's components. You could install a coulmn lock bypass kit from the aftermarket, but they have been known to knock out expensive BCM's.

LL,

Yep, I see where that first post is confusing.

Thanks for the tips. I'll just keep up with it and hope I don't have any issues.

Battery is dandy, I'll be going over grounds soon since I know RIGHT where they are from having done my 02.

Thanks again,

Jim

If your battery 100% good, then just keeping it fully charged (any battery will self discharge and drop voltage when not being used, even with a cable disconnected) would be the best preventave maintenence possible as the column lock is very sensitive to low voltage conditions. Good luck with it, hope you never have a problem.

Do all of the above or spend $50 on a CLB and be done with it forever.:thumb

Sniff, thank you Jane Ann, sniff, the nurturing is appreciated. :L
Jim
:LAnytime. Sometimes it helps just to know that someone knows our pain. :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom