Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering Lock problems..is there a quick fix?

N

niels

Spares support is zero out here and my baby is stuck at the dealers.

Does anyone know of any unorthodox fixes so that I can get it back on the road until the GM patch eventually makes its way out here?

All ideas welcome - no matter how crude.

I am thinking of either grinding the locking pins or filling the slots up with epoxy...will this work or will the damned computers go crazy?

Thanks - in advance.........niels

It's not quite a quick fix, but many Corvette parts places have a column lock bypass available. You could buy that and put it on.

I've done it and have seen it done, unhook the battery for a few minutes and then re attach it. This kills the memory . Give it a try.

I have also seen this work, you will have to leave the battery off for about 5-10 minutes.

Good luck

I read this as it's locked now. Mine did this in my garage a few months ago. I found a post on this forum that said shaking it vigorously back and forth might free it. Well... it did, couldn't believe I was beating on the steering wheel of my vette. I wondered what I looked like to my neighbors. I'll look for the post, should be key out, hold at 10 and 2 and rock it as hard as you can for about 5-10 secs.

I also was able to get my 2000 to unlock that way. It locked up one day last Sept. and the dealer would not fix it. I held to as far clockwise as I could after rocking it side to side hard and then turn the key on and it unlocked. I did not have anymore trouble with it since then, but I am glad they are going to fix it as soon as the Dealer gets the parts in.

It's warranty. It's free.

It's 5 mins. It is a DIC adjustment using LS1. ALL software.

Go do it with your dealer. This is the fix from GM on the recall order.

Bill.

Thanks Bill for the info. I am going to call my dealer. When I talked with him 2 weeks ago he said it would be 30 days waiting for parts.

Tom

In the past, if I remember correctly, I've pulled either fuse 23, or 24, on the passenger side foot well waited 30 seconds and reinserted the fuse. It resets the codes though. Wait until after the car cools down, I've also notice a great deal of heat in the computer area there.

Thanks everybody!...I'll go give it a try.

The recall is a moot point in Jeddah - :mad - hence I need to sort out the problem myself.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom