Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering rack leak

cbernhardt

Corvette
62 Conversion Car, Pewter 98, 59 Project
I have a ’62 frame conversion car that has C4 suspension and steering. The steering rack is leaking around what appears to be a plug located in the center of the rack tube housing (see picture below). This plug appears to go completely through the housing and perhaps is peened or flattened on both ends. I have a service manual and it does not mention this plug. Can someone tell me what this plug (or pin or whatever it is) actually does? Anyone ever fixed a leaky one?
Thanks,
Charles
rack.jpg

I had the exact same leak, then I read a thread in here about Lucas Power Steering stop leak.

The stuff works, suck as much as you can to get a full bottle in, and drive for a couple of weeks and it will stop leaking.

Mart

It seems like PS leaks are quite a common problem on C4's. I think someone said something about the hose area being high pressure.

It's also te heat that builds in these things, it's way hotter than your average.

Mart said:
I had the exact same leak, then I read a thread in here about Lucas Power Steering stop leak. The stuff works, suck as much as you can to get a full bottle in, and drive for a couple of weeks and it will stop leaking. Mart
Thanks for the replys. I just read the spec sheet on the Lucas Stop Leak stuff and it indicates that it is for seal leaks. What I have appears to be more of a mechanical joint leak. I might give the stop leak a try but I'm afraid a bottle of the stuff would leak out too quickly to do any good. So back to my original question - anyone know what this little plug actually does?
Charles

I understand what you are saying but I believe there is a seal in there, where the pin that you mention is.

That is exactly where mine was leaking, and yes it will continue to leak for a week or two until the stuff does it's job. Then all of the sudden you will see that there is no leak.

Mart

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom