Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering wanders, looking for ideas

steering wandering

goingballistic said:
Howdy,
the only complaint I've ever had (actually two but HP is being fixed right now) is the steering in my '81. When I first got the car a few years ago I noticed that it wandered. I replaced the power steering box ( not pump) and took it to the Chevy dealer where they aligned it and adjusted it. It got better but not what I would like in a car like a Vette, I kind of expect "snappy" steering. It responds OK but at highway speeds, it wanders around more than I would like and sometimes feel comfortable with :eek and when it's not tracking right, it's down right scary when you're in traffic.

I've read a few threads about several steering options, "yellow77" had one about a front end project and it is now 2.5 turns, lock to lock, sounds good to me but I'm curious what else has been done. I'm leery to replace all the bushings etc until I figure out if there is a better way............I'm looking for options, price is not overly sensitive ( if I don't let the wife find out :D ).......she's gona kill me when she finds out how much this stroker is.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Paul.
Paul, i had a similar problem with my 78, i replaced all front end bushes with teflon new shockies and 245 T/A radials. very little difference. Recently after being resigned to a life of bump steering and constant steering adjustment i found someone who new how to do a decent alignment. Ended up replacing trailing arm bushes and suddenly became a hell of a lot better. this juy said the tyres were the other big bug , so i replaced them with new yokohama avid radials 255 on rear and 235 on the front[ 255 rub just a bit too much]
and low and behold a whole new car in the handling department.
THe old girl is almost a pleasure to drive now, certainly 200% better.

regards ernie.:beer

My '81 has a very similar problem pulling me all over the road. My steering is not sloppy though...it's super sensitive. Which gets scary at higher speeds because the slightest little move, and it goes. I have 255/40/18 in front and 285/40/18 in back with stock 4" backspacing. I know these wheels have something to do with it, but it still seems a little too much wander for my liking.

However, even with a new alignment, it was pulling to the right. I adjusted the steering valve, and have it pretty much better now. But I still feel like it tracks better on turns than going straight. I'd love to have the feel I get out of the steering in turns when I'm going straight!

- Jeremy

There should be an adjustment on the steering box to make the steering more or less sensitve. I recall doing it on 77 I had but that was a long time ago.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom