Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steps to build a chevy 350

I think most carb companies would say that you can buy a special carburetor that is already setup for turbo/super chargers. I have no experience myself, so it could true or just a trick to get people to buy more expensive carburetors.

I would not turbocharge a C3 corvette. They already have a very hard time staying cool due to their lack of grille. There is also very little under-hood space.
You could use a supercharger to avoid turbo lag and the extra heat. If I was going to supercharge the car, I'd get an LS1 (or higher). There are some very nice kits for that, but they're expensive.

I'm very much in the "I built it myself" category. But before you start buying and building, you need to know what the end result should be.
Do you want a 700HP monster that runs 1/4 miles in 11 seconds or do you simply want a little more pep then you have now.
Do you want to convert to fuel injection?

Once you know where you're going, you'll have a much easier time getting there.

Found a fairly well priced crate engine from Jegs. It has 260 HP 350 ft/lbs of torque for only $1400. That doesn't seem bad at all. And it's low compression. 8.5:1 I could supercharge it later on down the road if I decide to. Let me know what you think.

GM Performance 10067353 GM Goodwrench 350 Engine & Packages - 1973-1985
The cast pistons on that engine make it risky to supercharge. It's a great price but you may not be happy for very long with its level of performance. Sadly, money-saving parts are usually more breakable. Boosting the power on an economy crate motor will probably end up being more expensive in the long run.

I've been looking for an L82 so I can get my car back to matching numbers. Are these motors any better for building than the 76 LM1 350 from a camaro?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom