Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stereo/Cig lighter wiring problem

ecss, the CDM came in yesterday. I just installed it, and again it blew the 5amp RDO BATT fuse. Makes me think it isn't the CDM at all. I was told by someone else to unhook the antenna. I looked and am not sure which fuse that woud be. I believe it is the LH CTSY 20 amp fuse. Is that the correct fuse if not which one will cut power to the antenna?

Last edited:
ecss, the CDM came in yesterday. I just installed it, and again it blew the 5amp RDO BATT fuse. Makes me think it isn't the CDM at all. I was told by someone else to unhook the antenna. I looked and am not sure which fuse that woud be. I believe it is the LH CTSY 20 amp fuse. Is that the correct fuse if not which one will cut power to the antenna?

1) First are you positive the RDO BATT fuse is the one blowing.
In the fuse panel the fuse is the 2nd from the bottom row and the first fuse on the right.

As I mentioned the fuse has power to it all the time. Makes no sense that it only blows when you turn the ignition On.

2) Is there any aftermarket electronic equipment installed on the car?

3) Does your PKE key fob work?

4) That fuse powers the radio control head to display the time in the LCD when the ignition is OFF. Do you see any thing displayed in the Radio LCD with the ignition OFF (Press the radio volume knob inward should display the time for a few seconds)?

The RDO IGN 5 amp fuse provides power for the Control side of both the Antenna relay and the Bose speaker amp relay. The LH Courtesy is the power source for the antenna motor and speaker amps. This is not your problem if you say the RDO BATT fuse is blowing.

Confirm items 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Yes it is the Radio Btt Fuse.
2. No aftermarket electronics installed.
3. The FOB is NOT working.
4. Yes I get a time reading when I push in on the volume know with the key out of the ignition. What is the easiest way to shut off power to the antenna without remove the LH CTSY fuse? If I unhook power to the antenna maybe a mouse got into the car and chewed up some of the wiring that I cannot eem to find. Thanks for all the help ecss.

1. Yes it is the Radio Btt Fuse.
2. No aftermarket electronics installed.
3. The FOB is NOT working.
4. Yes I get a time reading when I push in on the volume know with the key out of the ignition. What is the easiest way to shut off power to the antenna without remove the LH CTSY fuse? If I unhook power to the antenna maybe a mouse got into the car and chewed up some of the wiring that I cannot eem to find. Thanks for all the help ecss.

If something was wrong with the antenna motor the LH CTSY fuse would blow when you turn the radio On.

You said the radio worked until you installed the GPS. How was the GPS system wired?

Last edited by a moderator:
The GPS plugs into the Cig lighter. I am thinking about going out and testing the continuity of the wires going into the radio and see if I can't find a dead short. I will keep checking back to see if you come up with anything else.

Well found nothing with continuity testing for a dead short.

Well found nothing with continuity testing for a dead short.

My conclusion is the problem is in the control head unit. The description isn't very good in the service manual but it says the CDM provides a 12 volt Battery voltage and a 12 volt ignition voltage to the control head when the radio is turned on.

If you look at the two connectors on the back of the radio control head one connector has 7 pins and the other 9 pins.

On the 9 pin connector is a Brown wire which is the 12 volt battery input to the radio control head from the CDM.
If you lift up on the locking tab and pull the Brown wire from the connector and plug the two connectors back in to the wiring harness, turn on the ignition and radio, see if the RDO Batt fuse blows. I suspect it won't and points to the control head.

Going to give it a try will report back with my findings soon. Thanks again.

I removed the brown wire on the 9 pin connector. Radio did not power up and it DID NOT blow the Rad BAtt fuse. So do you believe it is the control head unit itself?

I removed the brown wire on the 9 pin connector. Radio did not power up and it DID NOT blow the Rad BAtt fuse. So do you believe it is the control head unit itself?

Sent you a PM.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom