Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sticking caliper???

P

page62

I started noticing a slight grinding noise from one of the wheels yesterday...nothing serious. Today, I noticed what appears to be brake dust on the body behind the right front fender.

Could it be that the caliper is sticking? Both front calipers look new...I just bought this car so I'm not sure. And if so, should I just let it wear down the pad a little, or should I break out the ball peen hammer?

Pad:eek What Pad:eek
IMHO
I would definitely pull the wheel and inspect all pads,rotor,calipers,etc. If you just purchased the vehicle it makes good sense whether it's making sounds or not.
Best of luck.:w

Well, usually you'll feel a sticking caliper, least on the front, it will make the wheel turn when you aply the brakes. I dunno about grinding, does it go away when you slowly increase preasure on the brake pedal?

Dust isnt too unusual, some pads make more than others, the comforting part is if it's makeing lots of dust it is soft and not wearing the crap out of your rotor, trouble is they usually dont last long. Your call.

Brakes, ahh, good old vette brakes. If your like most other people, you'll pull it apart and find everything worn out. :)
The brakes are kinda known for going to hell when they arent taken care of, and it seems most of them arent. Take it apart and have a look. Note than the pads have a lot less material on them than most vehicles do, so dont panic right away if they look thin.

Brakes

1) What color is the fluid? Stick a piece of paper into the rez and look at it. If it's not CLEAR you have old fluid.. the browner. the worse it is.

2) Pull the brakes & have em inspected.. Midas or other large chains do this for free ( no excuse )... now you don't have to have em do the work ( and most of them do not know Vette's well) but it get things pulled apart for inspection so YOU can make a good call.

3) Looking at the outside of the caliper doesn't tell you SQUAT... you have to look @ the boots & the pads.

Mike

/mike vigman: 1) What color is the fluid? Stick a piece of paper into the rez and look at it. If it's not CLEAR you have old fluid.. the browner. the worse it is. 2) Pull the brakes & have em inspected.. Midas or other large chains do this for free ( no excuse )... now you don't have to have em do the work ( and most of them do not know Vette's well) but it get things pulled apart for inspection so YOU can make a good call. 3) Looking at the outside of the caliper doesn't tell you SQUAT... you have to look @ the boots & the pads.

Dittoes on all counts ... good info.
JACK:gap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom