Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sticking Igniton Switch ?

Papa

Corvette
95 Dk Red/Blk Ragtop
I searched threads and couldnt find anything...about every third time I shut the ignition switch off the switch seems reluctant to turn to the "lock" position. Putting in and out of park a few times it finally turns all the way. Anyone experienced this? Any advice about correcting or source of the problem?
Thanks
Papa:w

sticky ignition

There's a sensor next to the auto gear shift lever that determines that the car is in park and 'releases' the key. It may be out of adjustment. To get at it, remove the console bezel by first taking off the console lid; then pull up the rug and remove the 2 screws near the front of the console interior; there is one (or more?) screws under the 'change' tray beside the gear shift. Once all the screws are out, put the car into a low gear, lift the back of the bezel up and pull the bezel up and back (no need to pull it over the gear shift knob). The gear sensor will be visible on the driver's side of the gear shift. Mine had a frayed (eventually broken) wire. When reassemblying, take care to align the gear indicator correctly and note that the console lid has depressions at the screw holes that allow it to be aligned easily with the hinge. There are a lot of old threads on how to remove the console bezel (cover). You can search with the 'search' tab above in case I've forgotten some of the screw locations.
Hope this helps.
PS Don't put any lubricant in the key hole. See my embarassing post.

Thanks...

That doesn't soubd too complicated. Would that sensor keep the switch from turning all the way to the lock position? It stops on the "off" posiiton but won't turn all the way to lock...
Papa:w

ignition switch

Yes, that's how it keeps the driver from removing the key without putting it in park (the key won't go to 'lock').

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom