Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sticky Auto Shifter

Corvette
none right now :(
I'm borrowing my Dad's 1998 Pace Car for a couple of weeks. I thought I'd take a bit of time to fix a few minor issues on the car.

The shifter is kind of sticky getting it out of Park. Sometimes it is worse than others. It has not to this point ever been totally stuck.

Anything I can look at? I tried searching but didn't find any fixes.

Thanks!

This is going to sound like a really basic question, but how long has it been since the transmission fluid was changed? I'm talking mileage-wise, rather than time.

I'm taking an educated guess that it is original. 68k miles

The tranny shifts perfectly fine as far as running goes. just getting it out of park.

This has nothing to do with the transmission. What you're feeling is a lazy trans brake solenoid.....the electriacal device that locks the A4 shift lever in Park until you have the key on or started and your foot on the brake. These solenoids can eventually quit working. Mine did more of this in cold weather, but worked good in the heat. Do some searches for the details. It's a fairly common issue. I got my replacement from Bob, the parts manager, at Ken Fichtner Chev in Laurel, MT, for less that $50. Easy to replace in about 30min. max. It's located in the console right under the shift lever boot. Tell Bob you're a vette fanatic and you'll get their best prices on anything GM, not just vettes. Great place to get parts.

Good luck!
:thumb

This has nothing to do with the transmission. What you're feeling is a lazy trans brake solenoid.....the electriacal device that locks the A4 shift lever in Park until you have the key on or started and your foot on the brake. These solenoids can eventually quit working. Mine did more of this in cold weather, but worked good in the heat. Do some searches for the details. It's a fairly common issue. I got my replacement from Bob, the parts manager, at Ken Fichtner Chev in Laurel, MT, for less that $50. Easy to replace in about 30min. max. It's located in the console right under the shift lever boot. Tell Bob you're a vette fanatic and you'll get their best prices on anything GM, not just vettes. Great place to get parts.

Good luck!
:thumb

Thanks! that's the info I was looking for :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom