Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

still figuring out this vette thing

the cats are still on car. The local corvette guy said to run 85, not the higher stuff b/c of the attitude (pueblo co). I will just have to finish tuning it up and see what happens. will let you know if anything changes. Any good books that I should pick up?
thanks for the reply
and it is my first vette

Hi Auzzie. As you can see, I own an 89 Coupe and live in Denver. Where to begin? I am fortunate in that my Vette has been fairly reliable in the 2 1/2 years I have had it. However, that is a relative term. I don't use it as a daily driver. I have put about 10,000 miles on it since I've owned it. I bought it with 74K and it now has 84K. Even though I say it has been reliable I have still had to do some things to it. Replaced the headlight motor bushings, replaced the outer door seals, new serpentine belt, new alternator, swapped the seats, trobleshot and repaired the turnsignal, driving lights and side marker lights, serviced the transmission and most recently a new water pump. These types of things should be expected on cars of this age and mileage. Fortunately, I have an extra wide single car detached garage at my house, most of the tools I need and enough experience to be dangerous. If you have none of this, the patience or inclination to do some stuff or the money to pay a shop, this probably isn't the car for you.

As far as books go, if you intend to understand the car you definitely need the GM shop manual. I have purchased a book called "Understanding Corvette Fuel Injection" which is excellent and covers Corvette Fuel Injection all the way from the Crossfire to the LS6. Also, as has been stated prior, if you want to understand the Vette this forum is a boundless source of assistance and info. There are a couple of active CACers down in the Springs with C4s and I am surprised they haven't chimed in yet.

My advice is this. Best option - decide to learn about your car and start trying to figure out what is wrong. When you get it running right you will be blown away at the performance and how much fun these things are to drive. If you want to drive up here some weekend, we could at least do a comparison drive of the two cars to establish a baseline. I would also try going back to the guy you bought it from ( a friend of your Dad?) and tell him it doesn't run right and see if he is at least willing to help you troubleshoot. It is a small block Chevy and it is unlikely that he put it together wrong but it sounds like something must be up in the engine menagement system. Did he think it ran right when he sold it to you?
2nd option- take it to Corvette Connection here in Denver and let them figure it out. They are reputable and their shop rate is resaonable. Third - sell it and get yourself a Honda or Toyota to drive while you are in school. :) :v

PS I don't understand why altitude would dictate that you don't use premium fuel. In fact, I think this could be part of the problem. With lower octance fuel, you might be initiating PING when you floor it. If so, the knock sensor will retard the timing to prevent the knock and in the process reduce performance. I use premium fuel only.

Thanks milehigreg. The guy that told me to run 85 is rick jr at corvette center between here and the springs, you heard of them. I will start to put premium in her. Has far so going to the guy I bought it from, he is back home in AR. I don't believe that there is something major, but something I haven't found yet. Do the guys in Denver have an email or number that I might be able to contact them. Don't really wont to give it up yet, maybe I should, but would really like to keep it. I have never kept a car longer than 2 years so.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom