Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stock Thermostat for 94 LT1

John-C5

Corvette
2002 Quick Silver Coupe
I decided to do a little maintenance on my cooling system, new antifreeze, thermostat and some water wetter to keep my baby running cool. When I started shopping around for a thermostat the replacement is listed as a 180 degree rather than the 195 that came in it. I check a couple of different sites including a GM parts site and the AC Delco site and they all show the 180 as the stock replacement. Does anyone know if GM had a reason for changing, like high temperature complaints, or did they just decide to stop making the original one? It’s not a problem, I’m just curious. I was considering going to a lower temp unit anyway.

I’ve seen some discussion on problems getting thermostat housing bolts out. Anybody got the secret to getting them out without breaking anything? I’d sure hate to make a big project out of this.

John

The stock T-stat in my 95 was a 195 degree one. Remove the bolts when the motor is cold.

The common replacement for the 195 is either a 180 or 160 degree unit. I have had all around good results with the 160.

No idea why the replacement is "listed" as a 180.

Make sure you drain the coolant below the thermostat housing also. This will keep the coolant from flowing all over the OptiSpark (not a good thing).

I haven't had any problems removing the t-stat housing bolts but you never know.

Remember to bleed the system after you refill it with coolant.

Both the Helm's & owners manual list the thermo as 180*??????? :confused

Guys thanks for the help. I guess I should have checked my owners manual first, it calls for a 180 thermostat. I don't think that's what's in it because you can see it open at 197 as the temp will dip about 3 degrees at that point when it's warming up. I looked on Eckler's and they listed a 195 for it so I assumed that's what it was.

Stock thermostat in LT1 is 180.

If anyone's is not opening around 180, replace it.

The fan IS set to come on at a predetrimined temp unless you reset your computer.
DO NOT GET COOLENT ON YOUR OPTI SPARK DRAIN IT AT THE RADIATOR OR YOU WILL BE SORRY!!
THE SECOND FAN WILL NOT COME ON UNLESS THE A/C IS ON.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom