Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stone chips

B

BBB454

Before I get the car repainted, I'd like to try to figure out how to keep the stone chips from appearing in front of the rear tires. Apparently stones are getting kicked up and are hitting the front flare of the rear fenders, right behind the doors. Anyone else have this problem and is there anything that can be done about it (besides ugly mud flaps)?

Thanks!
Barb :w

Barb,
There are cling-ons and plastic shields fender protectors that are available through Ecklers See page 8 in 2001 spring /summer catalog...

Hey Barb, make sure you have a good coat of wax and the car is bone dry on before applying the cleartastic protectors. If any moisture gets trapped under them your paint can get the same blisters as are caused by car covers. Also be careful when you remove them for washing, the can get really fine grit around the edges so be sure to pull away from the car until completely removed. I'm not trying to scare you away form them, they are great, I see them all over the place on vettes and old stangs at shows.

You can but them directly from the the Cleartastic company website as well as the catalog shops as Roy mentioned. Of course if you're going for the cleartastics and the nip chips you may save shipping by going w/ one company.

BTW - Is that rear end fixed yet?

71Shark said:
BTW - Is that rear end fixed yet?

If you mean the rear end locking up, yes. If you mean the mother-in-law gouge, not yet. Everyone I talked to said to drive it the rest of the summer as is, then have the paint job done over the winter. Though I hate having people think I'm "neglecting" my baby, I think they were right. Now the problem is, I've sunk most of my "paint savings" into the tranny & rear end rebuilds she just needed, so I don't know when I'll have "enough" money for a complete paint job... but at least she's driveable again!! :)

Thanks for the info on the fender protectors, I checked the website and that's exactly where I was talking about!

BBB454 said:
If you mean the rear end locking up, yes.... Everyone I talked to said to drive it the rest of the summer as is, then have the paint job done over the winter.

I agree, drive it! Whenever I see a damaged or incomplete vette on the road. Enjoy your car no matter what, screw anyone who has a problem cause we all know you love your baby. When my dog, Winston, got his neck shaved (he's a chow so it looked strange) I didn't lock him indoors. ;)

3M as well as Dupont and other such companies make an actual stone guard protection paint. It is applied before the top coat and makes a orange peel type finish. It is also called rocker guard and other such names. Next time you are in a mall parking lot, try to find one of the last generation 300 Zs and or look at the rocker area on different cars. You will see this finish.

I am considering (especially with the L88 flares) applying this to the front trailing edge just behind the door and up to the body ridge line. I really don't think it will be noticed, and yet have a kind of factory look.

Ask your paint and body shop about it when you get a chance. How it keeps the chips from forming, I don't know. It just does.

However, there is a trade off with the wrinkle finish vs. the plastic guard, vs. little chips in the paint.

You might also ask the shop to tint the primer the same color as the car. That way any chips you get will be hard to notice. :D

Chris McDonald said:
You might also ask the shop to tint the primer the same color as the car. That way any chips you get will be hard to notice. :D

Ohhhh, I really like that idea!!

I'm not sure about the "orange peel" effect on a Vette (I know what you're talking about, have seen it before). I guess I have a little while yet to decide.

Thanks!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom