Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Storage and oil changing

John Kay

Corvette
2013 427 Convertible
I've asked this question many times over the years and cannot seem to get a difinitive answer. Living in the northeast I, like many other Vette owners, put my car in hibernation at the first sign of snow. I also do not travel enough mileage to change my oil any more than once a year. So the question is am I better off changing my oil before the storage or in the Spring when it comes out of storage? I have a new 427 LS7 but I would imagine the answer would apply to all engines being stored?

I've asked this question many times over the years and cannot seem to get a difinitive answer. Living in the northeast I, like many other Vette owners, put my car in hibernation at the first sign of snow. I also do not travel enough mileage to change my oil any more than once a year. So the question is am I better off changing my oil before the storage or in the Spring when it comes out of storage? I have a new 427 LS7 but I would imagine the answer would apply to all engines being stored?

Between the two I would do it before storage to remove any acidic build up and contaminates in the oil. There will be condensation in the crankcase in the spring even if not started or driven, but most of it will evaporate after the vehicle is driven for a while.

I wrote an in-depth article several years ago regarding Long Term / Winter Corvette storage. It's in the Care and Detailing section under the Tech Center:

Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | Practical Corvette Care 101

Since your car is seeing low annual mileage such that you change oil once a year, I'd make that annual change each year, just before you park it for the winter.

Then, once a month, I'd start the engine and let it run until you see normal oil temperature. This should include several minutes at fast idle once the coolant temp. comes up.

I'd put a smart trickle charger on the battery, too. I use the Auto Meter Battery Extender. They've been a great product. I have one that's been in service for 15 years.

Some people insist on fuel stabilizer, but, for three months, as long as the fuel tank is full, I don't really think it's necessary.

Lastly, anytime you get a dry cold day and the roads are clear, I'd take the car out and run it long enought to see 150° oil temp.

.......and I always fill up the tank with ethanol-free pure gasoline.

Never start an engine while in storage unless you're going to take the car out for a good long run. It doesn't need it or benefit from running in the garage or driveway and just adds moisture and acid to the oil and exhaust system.

The best possible storage situation is stable and low temperature and humidity.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom