Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Strange Door Alignment! Opinions, Please!

RetiredMD

Corvette
2010 Torch Red Coupe
Good morning to all. After searching this Forum unsuccessfully, I thought to ask the group their opinion. I purchased a 2010 CPO Coupe with 6,800 miles last week. The Carfax indiciated a previous "fender bender" with very minor rear cap damage. Both Carfax and Autocheck passed the car. The original owner drove the car 6 months after the incident with no history of follow-up dealer appointments or complaints. Of course, my selling dealer indicated he was aware of the incident and confirmed it was supericial damage only with no ongoing problems discovered during the CPO process.
An pre-purchase inspection and test-drive revealed no obvious concerns.
Yesterday, I noted 2 things that make me wonder. First, a creaking noise developed upon initially opening and just before closing the driver's door.This is gone today-it was quite humid in SW Florida yesterday. From the outside, the driver's door is perfectly aligned with all body panels both front and rear. All seams are parallel, quite normal and no different than the passenger's door. The driver's door opens and closes easily and does not contact or impinge any body panel. From the inside with all doors closed, the rear of the driver's door trim aligns perfectly with the interior body trim, however, the front of the door' trim is 1/4" below the dash board trim. The passenger door aligns perfectly both front and rear.
Could this door mis-alignment reflect prior damage or a factory "goof"? Opinions, please.

Good morning to all. After searching this Forum unsuccessfully, I thought to ask the group their opinion. I purchased a 2010 CPO Coupe with 6,800 miles last week. The Carfax indiciated a previous "fender bender" with very minor rear cap damage. Both Carfax and Autocheck passed the car. The original owner drove the car 6 months after the incident with no history of follow-up dealer appointments or complaints. Of course, my selling dealer indicated he was aware of the incident and confirmed it was supericial damage only with no ongoing problems discovered during the CPO process.
An pre-purchase inspection and test-drive revealed no obvious concerns.
Yesterday, I noted 2 things that make me wonder. First, a creaking noise developed upon initially opening and just before closing the driver's door.This is gone today-it was quite humid in SW Florida yesterday. From the outside, the driver's door is perfectly aligned with all body panels both front and rear. All seams are parallel, quite normal and no different than the passenger's door. The driver's door opens and closes easily and does not contact or impinge any body panel. From the inside with all doors closed, the rear of the driver's door trim aligns perfectly with the interior body trim, however, the front of the door' trim is 1/4" below the dash board trim. The passenger door aligns perfectly both front and rear.
Could this door mis-alignment reflect prior damage or a factory "goof"? Opinions, please.
The creaking noise,probly needs a little lubrication on the door henge's!:thumb

As far as the trim panel,probly factory goof or someone has had it off and didn't get it back aligned right!~!!:thumb:thumb

Doc, it sounds like the door is ok, but maybe the dash was removed for some reason and not totally reseated upon re-installation. Does the window fit the rubber trim evenly?

It Is The Dash!

Doc, it sounds like the door is ok, but maybe the dash was removed for some reason and not totally reseated upon re-installation. Does the window fit the rubber trim evenly?

I looked more carefully at the dashboard and noticed the source of the misalignment. The dashboard is not seated correctly on the driver's side. The dash is tilted slightly with the front down and the rear up, creating the misalignment. The passenger side dash sits correctly.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom