Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Strange Power Mirror Issue

C

csc67

I own an 1989 vette with the dual power mirror option - Both mirrors work, but only move vertical (up and down) - The horizontal (side to side) won't budge

HELP.........................

Chris

Yes - Located in the center console area where the power windows are - It is sort of like a mini joystick to adjust the mirrors

Do you mean the RIGHT / LEFT switch or the Mini joystick that controls the up/down & right/left movements? How difficult is replacing the switch?

Switch replace

My 90' doesn't have that option so I'm not really sure. I would think the switch just plugs in to the wiring. I'm not sure how it attaches to the console. Is it possible to remove the glovebox in the console to get to it? Hopefully, someone will chime in who's actually done this project before. Good luck.

Dennis

father & son

Not too tough to remove mirror direction switch. Did mine, on my 84, took a couple of hrs. First i removed my passanger seat for easy access,4 bolt and plastic bolt covers. remove screws in center consel under felt pad . remove all screws on center consel cover. remove some bolts on center consel support. lift support and move around to get at switch and unplug and remove. this is a great time to tighten up all your interior screws. maybe remove drivers seat and clean under both seat areas.
vette-01.jpg

I have the same problem with my 1981. I've replaced the joystick. The mirrors worked 100% for a day, then the driver's mirror would only work up/down. The next day the passenger mirror was back to only up/down, too. Occasionally, the passenger mirror works 100% but is unpredictable. Sometimes, the driver's mirror will be turned all the way inward by itself. I can manually adjust it out, but after driving it for a while it will be back in. I don't think it is mechanically loose and vibrating inward. I'm wondering if there is a loose relay that is activating the driver's mirror in and blocking the passenger mirror from operating.
The previous owner told me that after he got it back from a detailing shop it had several electrical issues -- inop mirrors, dead radio, inop windows, inop rw defrost. After several hours & $'s searching, they found a dime in the cigarette lighter. Apparently the short blew several things. I've got all but the rw defrost and mirror issues resolved. Any suggestions? My next step will be to pull the door panels and tap directly into the mirror wiring to see that the motors are OK.

Do you mean the RIGHT / LEFT switch or the Mini joystick that controls the up/down & right/left movements? How difficult is replacing the switch?
The mini-joystick controls the mirror movement, the right/left selects which mirror left or right side. When you select left - does the driver side mirror work at all?, and if you select right - does the pass side mirror work at all? If the selectore is OK then it's gotta be the joystick. If the joystick operates both l and r mirrors at the same time - then it's the l/r switch. It's easy to get to either of them and I don't think they're costly. I'd replace them both to save the trouble of accessing the console a 2nd time later. fwiw

One special tool I've found handy is a small c-ring tool to remove the %#@^ c-ring inside the shift selector handle (Auto trans). The generic tools with interchangeable tips are too big to fit in there. Consider insertng a small magnet in there too - the c-ring can easily slip off and boink into another spacetime - lotsa luck trying to fit another w/o a sample to show anyone. Don't ask how I happen to have learned this. ha ha

The L/R switch functions properly. With L/R switch in the Left position, the joystick now operates the drivers mirror up/down but not in/out. In the Right position, the joystick operates the passenger mirror up/down and sometimes it will move it in/out. I have tested the L/R switch for conductivity and it appears to function properly. I think the L/R switch is OK.
My original joystick was bad. I got a used one to replace it and it tested OK before install. I'm thinking my problem might be a bad ground someplace, but I'm not sure how grounding works on a Vette or where to start to look.

It could be a ground issue. I'm the only driver and don't change their position often but I've noticed that my mirrors don't always respond instantly but if I hold the joystick in the required direction for a while (5-10 secs) then they'll move OK. (Mentioning "Big Daddy" the name of my 32 oz Ball Peen Hammer may help the mirrors remember their basic training. Nobody Says NO to Big Daddy).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom