Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Strange thing happened today on my 2000

crause

Corvette
75 Convertible-steel blue / 2000 lt. pewter conv.
I was at a local auto glass company today having a rock chip in the windshield of my 2000 repaired. As I was leaving, I started the car and began to back out of the service bay. The vehicle moved a little and the engine died. I put it back in park and restarted the engine. Put the car in reverse and it moved a little and died. After the third time, I noticed a message on the dash (where the odometer readout is) that said, "remove key and wait 10 seconds". I did this and the vehicle started and operated without any further killing. What do you think caused this? I have been in the vehicle all weekend and never had this problem. Is this something I should be concerned about?;shrug

I was at a local auto glass company today having a rock chip in the windshield of my 2000 repaired. As I was leaving, I started the car and began to back out of the service bay. The vehicle moved a little and the engine died. I put it back in park and restarted the engine. Put the car in reverse and it moved a little and died. After the third time, I noticed a message on the dash (where the odometer readout is) that said, "remove key and wait 10 seconds". I did this and the vehicle started and operated without any further killing. What do you think caused this? I have been in the vehicle all weekend and never had this problem. Is this something I should be concerned about?;shrug

SCL or Steering Column Lock. After years of fooling around the "fix" for automatics was to remove the locking plate and for manuals to program the car to kill the motor if it happened. More years go by, until early 2006 the fix for manuals became the same for automatics, remove the locking plate. If this wasn't ever done to your car, your dealer can do it as a recall.

SCL or Steering Column Lock. After years of fooling around the "fix" for automatics was to remove the locking plate and for manuals to program the car to kill the motor if it happened. More years go by, until early 2006 the fix for manuals became the same for automatics, remove the locking plate. If this wasn't ever done to your car, your dealer can do it as a recall.

I understand this is not uncommon with the M6s. I was not aware that it would also impact the A4s. :eek:hnoes I have a Y2K Vert with automatic. I bought my car recently from an individual. Wonder if there is a way to see if it was ever fixed in the recall?:confused

I think it is something you need to be concerned over. Especially if you plan to drive your car long distances and away from someone who can repair it. If it is the column lock issue, it could strand you on the sside of the road. :mad You will need AAA at that point.;help

LT

RECALLS

I understand this is not uncommon with the M6s. I was not aware that it would also impact the A4s. :eek:hnoes I have a Y2K Vert with automatic. I bought my car recently from an individual. Wonder if there is a way to see if it was ever fixed in the recall?:confused

I think it is something you need to be concerned over. Especially if you plan to drive your car long distances and away from someone who can repair it. If it is the column lock issue, it could strand you on the sside of the road. :mad You will need AAA at that point.;help

LT
Guys, go to your nearest GM dealer. They can run the VIN and let you know exactly what's been done to the car. Went thru that with my 2000 coupe. Took it in for the steering column lock recall (previous owner got an e-mail and forwarded it to me), they ran the VIN and found that the recall was done while the 1st owner had it in 2001. They alswo gave me a printout of everything that was done to the car while under warranty.
Andy :w

Twice I C&P'd it, different #'s assigned. They worked when I left. When I came back-nada!!!

Here Andy: Go to the top of this page, click on "Search" - enter "Remove key and wait 10 seconds".

Several items come up.

I had this happen to me once after going to TDOT for my annual 'test'. That was about 2 years ago and I have not had it happen again. I did have the SCL done way before that also. You should be able to check to see if you had the SCL done by trying to turn the steering wheel with out the key in the ignition. If the wheel locks and you can not turn it its not done.

Your ignition has two leads that reads your key's resistor pellet. The BCM is where the leads go. Whenever there is a break in continuity, you will get this message. Sounds like your ignition cylinder is worn. Try using your spare set of keys instead and see if it happens again.

Your ignition has two leads that reads your key's resistor pellet. The BCM is where the leads go. Whenever there is a break in continuity, you will get this message. Sounds like your ignition cylinder is worn. Try using your spare set of keys instead and see if it happens again.

The car only has 12000 miles, do you think the ignition cylinder could be worn with this little use? ;shrug

Andy

Clean the key and use a q-tip soaked in denatured alcohol to clean the contacts just inside the entrance to the ignition switch. You will be amazed at the amount of greasy gunk that is keeping the resistor pellet in the key from being read correctly.

The car only has 12000 miles, do you think the ignition cylinder could be worn with this little use? ;shrug

Andy
My car Just dose it once in a while!! 3-4 times since new!!It's had the SCL done,I think it's just the old moldy $$ in my pockets rubbing on the keys!!!!;shrug :chuckle :chuckle :boogie

My 98 has done the same thing and everyone that I speak to within our club that has a C5 and has had that happen has blamed it on the SCL problem. Now everyone is saying that the recall work isn't always effective and alot of people are opting for the scl bypass kit that is sold by many of the distributors. I guess it tells the computer that you scl is still there and fuctional while in fact it has been bypassed.Sometimes things were better when they were worse!:confused

Clean the key and use a q-tip soaked in denatured alcohol to clean the contacts just inside the entrance to the ignition switch. You will be amazed at the amount of greasy gunk that is keeping the resistor pellet in the key from being read correctly.

Thanks, great suggestion. I am going to begin a process of cleaning every electrical connection I can find. I am also going to do the check of all the ground connections. Last night I installed the third brake light flasher and while I had my arms inside of the rear bumper, I cleaned the ground strap.

Had it happen to me yesterday. I've found that since my windshield was replaced, it has been leaking water down around the passenger footwell, fuse box and BCM. I can hear the relays clicking to release the column lock but nothing happens. I'm going to remove the cover at the steering wheel today and see if the solenoid at the column lock is gone or a bad relay at the BCM. I'm attributing this problem to the leak at this point.

Never had my SCL done under the recall; I did get the letter more than once and realize it doesn't cost anything but I have talked to a number of people who never had any issues until they had this recall :bash taken care of. Not sure GM every got the information to the dealers to take care of this for sure. Remove the column lock, reprograming may not take care of the problem. So being that I never experienced this problem I just couldn't see having it done and then maybe having the problem.

Who knows, life is a chance, GM just didn't get a real handle on this ;shrug as far as I am concerned.
Bill :w

I had this problem with my 97 your column lock is toast. They are all defective.... i had to have them replace my steering column lock motor in 2003 it ended up costing me 750 bucks.....they messed up the first time and then the second time they replaced the lock....it was a nightmare.

I've heard a bunch of horror stories that's for sure; still not convienced this is the ;shrug thing to do.

Bill :confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom