Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Strange thumping noise from from end?

J

jedi

Strange thumping noise from front end?

I have a wierd thumping noise from my front left that just started up. I thought it might be a brake calper loose as I hear it when slow, and feel a thump when stepping on the brakes. Today it got much worse. Now when driving at slow speeds I hear it all the time, regardless of in a turn or driving straight. If I speed up it goes away. I can feel and hear the tump. Any ideas? It's a 95 LT1 automatic. Car has been in storage for about 5 months and I had a high pressure hose replaced for my A/C 2 weeks ago.
Jedi

I have a wierd thumping noise from my front left that just started up. I thought it might be a brake calper loose as I hear it when slow, and feel a thump when stepping on the brakes. Today it got much worse. Now when driving at slow speeds I hear it all the time, regardless of in a turn or driving straight. If I speed up it goes away. I can feel and hear the tump. Any ideas? It's a 95 LT1 automatic. Car has been in storage for about 5 months and I had a high pressure hose replaced for my A/C 2 weeks ago.
Jedi
Cracked Rotor,bad Wheel bearing!!;shrug ;shrug

bad tire ?

Glenn
:w

Better not be. Eagle GTs $300 last summer. Tread looks like it's in great shape. It's not a vibration but a hard thump at low speed or when pressing brake pedal.
Jedi

Sounds brake it could be related. Like junk said rotor. If not rotor or wheel bearing then tire. Check the lug nuts, you could have a lose wheel. Any pulse in the brake pedal? Any wobble in the steering wheel ? New tires have been known to be bad.

Glenn
:w

Flat spot on just that one tire? Doesn't seem likely, but.... ;shrug

Well I went to drop the car off at my local shop and on the way there about 5 miles away, I could not hear the noise;shrug . Now I am thinking it might have been my key fob hitting the dash board. Either that or the part has to be warm to start making the noise. I should hear from the shop tomorrow. I will let you guys know what they say.

My old C-4 was doing that and it turned out to be the U-Joint on the short shaft was bad.....

Good news bad news

So here is what the shop said. The bolts on my brake calipers were all finger tight. I did my brakes last year about this time. I was pretty sure I tightend all the bolts to the apropriate force. Pretty sure I even used my tourqe wrench. Drove the Vette all summer, even did a track day. So what could cause the bolts to back themselves out after a year?

. So what could cause the bolts to back themselves out after a year?

failure to clean bolt threads with solvent (brake cleaner is ok,but gotta really blast em till it runs off) or insufficient application of loctite....going back to retorque after loctite has taken initial set is also a bad.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom