Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Street cars of the '60's

Ah! The 60's!

What's that expression --- "if you remember the 60's, your wern't there?????" Somewhat true.

I'm slightly older than many of you and was in my "prime" in the early 60's. Remember it as the best years of my life! I remeber all those muscle cars. I had the honour and previledge of being the tech inspection guy at 3 drag strips in eastern Canada!

For our "project cars", small block chevy's were the only real game in town. Parts at every scrap yard! Just make em work together! Injected small block chevy in a short wheelbase dragster (C/Dragster). Fun ride!!!

There is no question in my mine which cars "ruled" the streets. It was the big block chevys of the mid 60's. When they started putting 396/427 engines "from the factory" into those Cameros, Chevelles (we called had some called Chevelle look-alikes from Pontiac called Beaumonts), and even into the "big bodies", that's what people bought and used on the street.

You seldom saw a GTO. Sure, Ford put out some 390s, and some 428s, but they were not nearly as popular. In my part of the world, the Chrysler stuff was not all that common "on the street".

These cars were the "factory hotrods". The owners didn't even have to know anything about how to race or modify or tune! Just put the money on the counter and drive out with a car faster than any on the street (until the next model).

That's what I saw as the tech guy! Heck, I even saw guys start buying automatics because they didn't require a scattershield back then! :confused

On the track, it was still the big block Chevy's, unless the "pros" came to town. We did "class" racing back then, so things like 340 Darts ruled in some mid-class areas (small block). That's when the factories started to "lie" about horsepower. And the Hemi's, the few around, ruled in A/S and SS/A. But at the end of the day, count the trophies and you see Chevy's ruled!:D

Like others, I never saw a true Cobra until I got to CA. Now there are a couple here on the hill where I live! Heck, there were not many 'Vettes around my part of the world! But it was in 62 is when I fell in love with the 62 'Vette. Took me 40 years to finally get one!:beer

There was a dealer in Toronto back then that built a "Stallion". From a late 60's basic Mustang, this dealer put in a "very strong" Ford 427 with ram-induction. This was a "street" car -- not a race car! I got to drive one down the track at Cedar's Dragway in Montreal (no, no scattershield but i got to make the rules!;) ) This thing would fly! However, what they missed was putting in brakes that would stop it! So, into the mud we go!!!!

I could go on and on (like I didn't already!). But, yes, I remember the 60's, and the muscle cars, and early drag racing on and off the street! Can I go back?????:D

Hal

:w

Toy4Hal said:
There was a dealer in Toronto back then that built a "Stallion". From a late 60's basic Mustang, this dealer put in a "very strong" Ford 427 with ram-induction. This was a "street" car -- not a race car! I got to drive one down the track at Cedar's Dragway in Montreal (no, no scattershield but i got to make the rules!;) ) This thing would fly! However, what they missed was putting in brakes that would stop it! So, into the mud we go!!!!
Good story Hal. Pretty much matches my experience from the same era.

As a reward......... http://people.freenet.de/pony/stallion.htm :D

67HEAVEN said:
Good story Hal. Pretty much matches my experience from the same era.

As a reward......... http://people.freenet.de/pony/stallion.htm :D

[WOW!!!!! Where do find this stuff!!!! That's amazing! And that's the car!

I was trying to rememebr the name of the guy who was the editor of the Canadian Drag Racing magazine. He had the Stallion that I drove down the track (as well as on the street). On the street, at 120 mph, the engine was "coughing", as if to say, can we go faster --- I'm bored!

That drive, and my opportunity to drive a 427/435 horse "Vette, we my two fastest street machine trips.

My 'Vette ride was an interesting story. We had a saturday night race at Napierville, Quebec. It ran late (about 1:30 AM end). We needed the Christmas Tree in Kingston, ONT for Sunday morning (about a 3 hour drive). We did not want to take the time to take the tree apart. So a buddy "lent" me his 427/435 'Vette. We could put much of the tree into the passenger side/back with minimal disassemby! And about the fastest way to travel!!!!! Made it in plenty of time!!!! :D

Thanks for the Stallion memory!
Hal

Toy4Hal said:
I got to drive one down the track at Cedar's Dragway in Montreal (no, no scattershield but i got to make the rules!;) )
I spent most of my youth out at Cedars, Napierville, Sanair, and sometimes Pont Rouge :D Some of the best years of my life......going to the drags and then cruisin' the A&W after ....and occaisionally running on "Radar Road" behind the airport in Dorval :D

:beer
wiscane said:
I lived in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago. I saw one Cobra in Barrington Illinois. He wouldn't race me or anyone else! He kept telling everyone how fast he was and we weren't worth his time... and the little money we had. At the time I had a 440 Dart from Mr. Norm. I think it would have been an interesting race. Oh well!
I too grew up in the Northwest suburbs of Chi Town.(The ChiTown Hustler comes to mind) Ah Sunday Sunday Sunday at beautiful US 30 Dragstrip or Union Grove Dragway in Union Grove Wisconsin. Barrington huh,no wonder he had a Cobra and thought you weren't worth his time. That town was full of snobs in the 60's and I'm sure still is today. Mr. Norm, now there's a name I haven't thought about for over 30 years ! He was famous for his Hypo Mopars as was Nickey Chevrolet for the hot 396 and 409,427 Chevys he was selling at the time.Bought a 68 Charger RT 440 slapstick from Arlington Park Dodge new,then off to the good ole USN in 69.Ahhh those were the days !:D :beer :w

Yep! Those tracks plus Kingston! Kingston was "special" because of Bobby Beiser and his "wheel standing" garbage truck! For some time, Bobby was the "offical NHRA Indian Rain Dancer" at many of the major NHRA events, including the Winternationals! He owned a huge piece of property in Kingston, Ont. (he had the trash contract for the city.) He would host have great parties the night before the races. It was a "trip" watching the "big boys" pull their fuelers and funny car trailers up that road!!! But they made it.

One more memory of Bob's place ---- A blower sitting inside a very fancy and expensive China Cabinet! He knew what was important!

Was "Pont Rouge" the track in Quebec City or the 1/8th miler in Sherbrooke?

Hal

Toy4Hal said:
Was "Pont Rouge" the track in Quebec City or the 1/8th miler in Sherbrooke?

Hal
Pont Rouge was the track in Quebec City......I can't remember the name of the 1/8th mile track near Sherbrooke

Were you a member of the Piston Poppers?

Were you a member of the Piston Poppers?
[No, I was not but I did "pop a few"!]

Ah, I Remember IT Well.........

Quote by Hal.... "Heck, there were not many 'Vettes around my part of the world! But it was in 62 is when I fell in love with the 62 'Vette. Took me 40 years to finally get one!:beer

I could go on and on (like I didn't already!). But, yes, I remember the 60's, and the muscle cars, and early drag racing on and off the street! Can I go back?????:D "

Hal

Hal, by buying our 62's how ever many years later, haven't we actually gone back? I know I have, and do, EVERY time I get in it!!!!:beer

I guess we have. I just got back in from a "test drive" of my 62. Well, maybe call it "beach crusing", but live can't get much better! Beach Boys playing, Beach Girls crusin............. I'm back!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom