Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Struggling with Upper Control Arms

D

Dan Ratner

I can't figure out how to remove the upper control arm bolts. I am talking about the two bolts that hold the arm and the shims in place.

I loosened the nuts easily enough but the bolts seem to be held in place by some mysterious force. I can't see in there well enough to tell whats going on. They don't spin at all. I don't see any welds. I don't see any pins or clips other such devices but something is holding them in. Are they pressed in?

Please tell me these things come out!

TIA

Dan

they're pressed in

/DAN ... I don't see any welds. I don't see any pins or clips other such devices but something is holding them in. Are they pressed in?

Dan:
Those upper control arm fasteners that hold the UCA shaft to frame are studs ... and they are pressed in. If I recall correctly, they either have splines just below the head (like a wheel stud ) that prevent spinning ... or they are carriage bolts that have square flats just below the head to prevent spinning. You can drive them out (from inside engine bay driving toward outside) if need be. If you do drive them out, you might want to have fresh ones on hand.

I've just removed my UCA's ... I have radiator & shroud out and rad support tilted forward ... so I don't need to remove the UCA studs. Hope this helps.
JACK:gap

As Jack said, have splines just below the head (like a wheel stud ) that prevent spinning. So just take a hammer and bop them on the end, should pop right out.

tom...

I guess I will have to bop a little harder. I already gave them a pretty good whack. I'll try it. Thanx.

If you're going to whack it, put a nut on the end to prevent "boogering" the threads. You might have to loosen the core support/radiator/shroud and pull it forward to get enough room to swing your "whacker". :) I used a C Clamp, with a socket under the A Frame. Tightened the C clamp...popped the stud back into the socket. This WAS NOT easy. The studs are splined as others have said. You cannot turn them like a bolt, even though they have a hex head. I also used an impact wrench on the hex head....forward and back with the impact gun...to loosen the splines somewhat. Chuck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom