Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Strut Rods

Tim81

Corvette
81 Black on Black Corvette
Hello Again, Can anyone tell me if the stock strut rods are straight from end to end or does the end that attaches to the diff have a slight bend in it?

Thanks Tim

Strut rods are straight. If you have a bend in it, the rod is faulty and needs replacement.

Hello Again, Can anyone tell me if the stock strut rods are straight from end to end or does the end that attaches to the diff have a slight bend in it?

Thanks Tim

I believe the strut rods on 81 and 82s are different in design and geometry as compared to earlier C3s. The end caps that contain the bushings are not perpendicular to the shaft itself. Is this what you mean by a 'bend'?

I believe the strut rods on 81 and 82s are different in design and geometry as compared to earlier C3s. The end caps that contain the bushings are not perpendicular to the shaft itself. Is this what you mean by a 'bend'?

Yes, I believe this is exactly what I mean. The rod itself looks straight , but the end that attaches to the diff does not line up with the rod itself, it looks like it is angled just a little. Both strut rods are exactly the same.

Thanks Tim

Yes, I believe this is exactly what I mean. The rod itself looks straight , but the end that attaches to the diff does not line up with the rod itself, it looks like it is angled just a little. Both strut rods are exactly the same.

Thanks Tim

I misunderstood use of the word "bend" in the OP. As a result, I said:
Strut rods are straight. If you have a bend in it, the rod is faulty and needs replacement.

Ignore my earlier statement. Sorry for the confusion.

Just finished removing both trailing arms for rebuild yesterday. I also noticed the strut arms angled slightly towards the front of the car. The previous owner had some rear suspension work done in the past. The rubber bushings look perfect so I'm pretty sure the struts are new and the angle must be part of the bushing alignment. Thanks Tim for starting this thread. I was about to ask the same questions. :D

Thanks everyone for all the help. I hate to say it but sometimes I'm a "cheap A$$" and I hate spending money on stuff I do not need. I did buy new bushings for the strut rods...:thumb Tim

Well, longer topic then I thought it would be.
Btw. I think 82 (collectors?) have alu strud rods where 81's still have steel.

Groeten Peter

...I think 82 (collectors?) have alu strud rods where 81's still have steel...

FE7 only I believe.

NOT what you want:
RearEnd006.jpg

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom