Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stuck In The Garage

B

blu72

HELP! IM THE NEW OWNER OF A BEAUTIFUL 72 BUT HAVE TO LOOK AT IT IN THE GARAGE. I CANT GET THE IGNITION SWITCH TO TURN. MY TRANNY IS IN 1ST GEAR AND CANT GET IT OUT WHICH I BELIEVE IS CAUSING MY KEY TO REMAIN IN THE LOCKED POSITION. ANYONE GOT A SUGGESTION, I WOULD LIKE TO DRIVE THIS THING,THOUGH IT DOES LOOK GOOD IN THE GARAGE. THANKS A BUNCH BLU72

Try pulling your steering wheel hard both left and right while you try to turn the key.
I'm not sure about 72 but 71s had a rod from the column (on the engine side) down to the tranny. It locks the key with I believe reverse gear. That could be misadjusted or binding. Mine's missing - thank goodness!

Man, I just hate when that happens! Starting with the EZ stuff: take a good look at your ign key. Is it well worn? Might not be engaging lock tumblers to turn. Just don't get a new key made from a worn-out one. You'll just have a 'new' worn pattern key. Try giving the steering wheel a good jerk from side to side as you try turning key. (maybe a light shot of 'Lcok-eze' in the slot might do it) Still no go? Then I'd start tearing into the column to replace the ign switch/key (if it's worn) and inspecting internal components like the sector shaft and rack. If you by-chance get it loose and drive it away, I wouldn't trust the problem not to occur again, like 50 miles from home!? Towing charges are outrageous these days! Best of Luck -Dave

75SHARK said:
Man, I just hate when that happens! Starting with the EZ stuff: take a good look at your ign key. Is it well worn? Might not be engaging lock tumblers to turn. Just don't get a new key made from a worn-out one. You'll just have a 'new' worn pattern key. Try giving the steering wheel a good jerk from side to side as you try turning key. (maybe a light shot of 'Lcok-eze' in the slot might do it) Still no go? Then I'd start tearing into the column to replace the ign switch/key (if it's worn) and inspecting internal components like the sector shaft and rack. If you by-chance get it loose and drive it away, I wouldn't trust the problem not to occur again, like 50 miles from home!? Towing charges are outrageous these days! Best of Luck -Dave

THANKS , I GOT IT OUT OF GEAR NEED TO WORK ON KEY STILL WONT TURN WHAT AM I IN FOR TAKING STEERING WHEEL APART?

As for the column, got a service manual? You'll need it. Let's get back to the key. 1.- Is it badly worn? Seeing brass below the chrome? Can't tell the slots from the shaft? 2.- Do you have a fresh key? If not, possible easiest attempt might be to see a lock smith to see if he can pattern it for a fresh one. Or a good parts man at a dealer. But the cylinder may be worn as bad as well. I always like to try the cheap 'n EZ stuff first. Hey, if the key chase is over 1/4 the cost of new cylinder, skip it....
Tools for the column attack: a normal hand tool set, a gear/wheel puller and a special plate compressor for columns. Oh, and service manual. It takes alot of patience, some mechanical know-how and the ability to cuss like a Marine!

THANKS SHARK ILL GIVE IT ATRY AND I GOT THE CUSSING PART DOWN BLU72

Lock Linkage, still might be hanging you up!

How did you get it out of gear?

There is a lever on the base of the steering column ( engine compartment side ) which pushes a cable locking the shifter mechinism.

If this is jammed it will not allow the ignition cylinder to turn.

The cable goes from the steering column base lever to the reverse linkage on the transmission on top.

If memory serves..

Its a bowden style cable ( sprial metal sleeving, no insulation ) and it gets rusted out pretty bad.

So if the key starts to turn the lock cylinder then stops... remove the cable from the base of the steering column lube it well... try the key now, if it dosen't, try moving the position of the lever
Try again.

If ther lock NOW frees up..either remove that cable ( both sides) or lube it up so it works correctly.

Take a minute to lube the entire shift linkage while your down there.

Mike

ya the same thing happened to me. after alot of cussing.... discovered that allusive cable was jammed. after disconnecting the cable all was good :)

72 Ign.

Hey Blu72 - I sympathize bud, the following is just my 2cents: I broke my 72 column dwn and realized that the eng wouldn't turn over bec I wasn't depressing the clutch pedal far enough - apparently it's a safety precaution.
This switch is located close to the upper part of the pedal and just aft of the firewall.
Another security prec. our cars have is the ign. will not turn over the eng (under stock conditions) if the trans. is out of reverse gear. (altho something else odd w/my car is that the key physically comes out of the switch if it's NOT in reverse).
I apologize if I'm stating the obvious, but like he said I was turning my garage blue w/language.....good luck and e-m me if you need any help fr out manuals. Mark

THANKS ALL FOR THE HELP I DICONNECTED CABLE DOWN ON COLUMN AND GOT TRANNY OUT OF GEAR BUT KEY STILL WONT TURN. TALKED TO CHEVY GARAGE TODAY AND PARTSMAN SUGESTED I HAVE HIM CUT A NEW KEY FROM ORIG SPECS. WHEN I GOT HOME FOUND OUT KEY WONT UNLOCK DOOR EITHER SO MUST BE THE KEY. I THINK BEING I NEVER HAD IT IN LOCK POSITON BEFORE I MAY HAVE WRONG KEY, I JUST BOUGHT CAR FIVE DAYS AGO, ILL LET YALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENS THANKS AGAIN BLU72

Key

There are 2 different keys
( At least on mine )

The OVAL head one is for the doors.

The Rectangle one is for the ignition.
Two different keys

I assume you drove the car home...correct?

IF memory serves correctly

The lever on the steering column that went to the cable has to be FULLY down before the key will work.

Mike

IM IN

HEY IM IN. IM EMBARRESED TO TELL YOU BUT I GOT TO THINKING ABOUT THIS KEY THING AND CALLED GUY I BOUGHT CAR FROM TO SEE IF HE HAD ANOTHER KEY AND GUESS WHAT WORKED LIKE A CHAMP , STARTED RIGHT UP. HE HAD GIVEN ME A SET THAT HE HAD MADE AND THEY WORKED FINE AS LONG AS YOU DIDNT PUT IN LOCK POSITION. COME TO FIND OUT KEYS WERE WRONG . THANKS AGAIN FOR THE ADVICE I DID LEARN A THING OR TWO. SEEYA GOING CRUSING BLU72

Good deal Blu

Now send some Pic's

Keep Wavin'

Mike

Blu72.

Please turn the cap locks off. We will not warn you again before removing you from the forum.

Thanks

Chris

Makes me want to

SHOUT... kick my heels up &
SHOUT....raise my arm's up &
SHOUT....Hey..hey..HEY..hey

Get the message

Shouting is BADD!!!!

MIke

easy chris didnt know you were so senstive to LARGE letters

no more caps for me ive turned a new leaf thanks guys

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom