Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Stupid Mistake: Almost connected battery terminals in reverse

thor1960

Corvette
1981 Yellow w/T-Tops, 54K, 4th Owner
Following a long winter of medical issues, I finally got the cover off my '81 last weekend. All winter the battery is kept indoors, the car is in an unheated garage. Topped off the battery with a charge. After checking all fluids and such put the battery in. Like an idiot, I hooked up the positive cable to the negative terminal. I touched the negative cable to the positive terminal, got a large spark. Touched it again, same result. Realized my mistake, flipped battery around. Connected the positive cable to positive terminal. Soon as I touched the negative cable to the negative terminal the horn started to blow. Each time I touched the negative the horn blew. It was around 9 pm and rather than anger the neighbors, I stopped. I'm still recovering from surgery and using a cane. Getting down under the car to unhook the horn is going to take a few minutes at least.
What do you think I burned out that is making the horn blow and what other damage might I have done?

Did you have the seat back laying forward against the steering wheel and horn button?

Tom

I wish it was just that...

Did you have the seat back laying forward against the steering wheel and horn button?

Tom
That was the first intelligent thing I did check after my stupidity. Was hoping it was just that, alas, no. I even gave the horn a half dozen hard pushes hoping that a contact was stuck. No, everytime now, I touch the negative to the battery and the horn starts to blow. Going to head back to where I have the car stored tomorrow, disconnect the horn and hopefully start the car. Then go from there. Thanks Tom.
Thor

It has two horns. A high and a low note. It might be easier to pull the fuse. It seems like the horn relay in in the battery area since it controls the theft alarm too. I'll check the manual.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom