Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sudden Electrical Problems

relichunter

Corvette
1986 Red Coupe
First post, sure didn't want to come on this way. I have suddenly developed a problem with my '86. First, the AC stopped working, worked the night before, next morning, nothing, screen is dead. OK, next, the cooling fan stops, replaced the relay, nothing. Next the under hood lights go out. Finally the Cruise Control stops working. I know it has to be electrical, but I'll be darned if I can find what's going on. I have checked fuses, all god. Any ideas from anyone. Thanks in advance for any help.

First post, sure didn't want to come on this way. I have suddenly developed a problem with my '86. First, the AC stopped working, worked the night before, next morning, nothing, screen is dead. OK, next, the cooling fan stops, replaced the relay, nothing. Next the under hood lights go out. Finally the Cruise Control stops working. I know it has to be electrical, but I'll be darned if I can find what's going on. I have checked fuses, all god. Any ideas from anyone. Thanks in advance for any help.

2 things...mass failures go back to source.
Look at the fusable links all gathered on a single post behind the battery, AND check the various grounds, one group is on a bolt on the bell-housing driver side. Others are behind driver side cyl head, and placed as needed.

Exact Problems on '86

2 things...mass failures go back to source.
Look at the fusable links all gathered on a single post behind the battery, AND check the various grounds, one group is on a bolt on the bell-housing driver side. Others are behind driver side cyl head, and placed as needed.

Found exactly what you said, burned link and some corrosion on some connections. Thanks for the help on that.

Found exactly what you said, burned link and some corrosion on some connections. Thanks for the help on that.

You're welcome.

My current vette has only seen a tow-truck 2 times in our 20 yrs together...once after being hit in an accident, and the other time when I drove into a bomb crater aka as a Houston pot-hole....
My battery bounced so hard that it came down and chopped one of those links under the battery box...so happened to be the ECM power, so it had no ignition or fire but the starter would crank. I would have figured it out on the side of the road but it was raining and 40 degrees, so I opted out and had it towed home where it took me 20 minutes to fix.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom