Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Suggestions Chipped Paint......

ziggy9mm

Corvette
1999 Pewter FRC
What is the best way of fixing this gentlemen I cant look at the car now without seeing this monstrosity
willy_nilly.gif
. End result of a great road trip. And any comments on getting a bra after I get this fixed? Anyone have pics of there C5 with a bra?

IMG_0022_croped.jpg

I have had and repaired several of these on my 03 Torch red Z, I bring up the color because I don't know how this might work on a metal flake finish. You might want to try this on an inconspicuous area first. What I do is take some Duplicolor touch up paint in the little bottle. I brush over the chip and let it dry, I then put a second coat over and let it dry too. Then I take some 2000 grit sandpaper and a small bowl of clean water and LIGHTLY wetsand (I stress the lightly because you can sand through the clear coat) the area until the touch up paint is smooth with the area around it, sometimes you have to add anothe coat or 2 of the touch up paint, then once it is sanded as smooth as possible I use 3M Clear Coat safe Rubbing Compound with a terry towel and polish the area to a shine. With mine you can't even tell where it has been done. The only other fix I know of is to have a body shop repaint the panel. I pray this works for you. God Bless and good luck.
Steve

I purchased a GM front end bra for my 1999 C5 coupe from my dealer and use it ONLY on road trips. I bought the car new and have had the bra since then. It fits very well and was reasonably priced. It has sustained several "cuts" from road debris but protected the paint perfectly.

Good luck on your paint repair.

Do any of those "blob disovlers" work? They say you just use touch up paint, then (after dry) apply this stuff and use like a credit card to remove whatever paint (the blob) above the surface of the original finish.
I wil eventually get around to addressing a small scratch on my hood from something that got kicked up there, that was the route I planed to take.
Anyone use one of these?

Do any of those "blob disovlers" work?
I wouldn't have recommended it (above) if it didn't work. The only time I've seen it not work is when the directions aren't followed exactly or when the chip has a raised (crater-like) edge...in which case, you have to first eliminate the raised edge by using a razor blade and having nerves of steel. :W

A few tips...
  • You don't need the pre-paint product. For pre-cleaning, mineral spirits have worked fine for me.
  • I've found that for removal using the Blob Eliminator, a well-worn cotton rag works better than a microfiber cloth. The microfiber tends to have too much nap, and can sometimes remove too much of the blob paint (i.e., makes makes a slightly concave repair, rather than flush with the surrounding surface).
  • For post-repair protection, just use your usual polish and wax.
HTH!

What is the best way of fixing this gentlemen I cant look at the car now without seeing this monstrosity
willy_nilly.gif
. End result of a great road trip. And any comments on getting a bra after I get this fixed? Anyone have pics of there C5 with a bra?

IMG_0022_croped.jpg
Here a pic of mine with the Bra on it...

Chipped Paint...

...is the sign of a totally enjoyed Corvette! :upthumbs

Hit her with a tittle touch-up paint and she'll be fine. :beer

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

...is the sign of a totally enjoyed Corvette! :upthumbs

Hit her with a tittle touch-up paint and she'll be fine. :beer

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter
Someday,yes someday I'll be like Sam with a brand new 2008,or 09 or 2010 and i'll use the clear bra.:blue:

...I'd rather have a few paint chips! :beer

Those chips add personality and character, right? I’ve got my share too, even with the bra…:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom