Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sun Visor on 81'

johns81

Corvette
1981 Beige/bronze
Okay, I have a minor problem that I hope someone will be able to help me with. The Sun Visor over the driver's side keeps falling down and won't stay in the up position. It is very annoying when the wife is in the passenger seat and she will reach over me to push it up. About 30 time per mile. Is there any way to tighten that stupid visor up. If not, I may have to tighten the wife up!! Thanks!!!

I prefer the "tuck it above the rear view mirror" fix.

Seriously, the bushing should help.

-gedmeyer

The right answer has been said two times :)
I removed them compleetly, nothing like some cool sunglases and a minor tinted front window can fix :D

Groeten Peter.

AWESOME!

My wife's 81 has the exact same problem with the driver's side telescoping visor...

Thank you!

AWESOME!

My wife's 81 has the exact same problem with the driver's side telescoping visor...

Thank you!

Mine has the same problem, same side, but only when the weather is very hot it will act up.

janine.... remind my next week and I'll get you a set of nylon bushings and replace them there at Carlisle for you.

nut

I have the same problem! The thing is, I had the elbow and bushings replaced last year, but the problem still exists. For the time being, I'm doing the tuck thing over the rearview mirror. I've been thinking of taking the assembly apart again, and spraying the bushing with some mild adhesive spray...sort of gum it up a bit. Any thoughts?

janine.... remind my next week and I'll get you a set of nylon bushings and replace them there at Carlisle for you.

nut

Bob, you are very kind to do that for me, I will take you up on it.
Thank you :)
See you soon :w

I have the same problem! The thing is, I had the elbow and bushings replaced last year, but the problem still exists. For the time being, I'm doing the tuck thing over the rearview mirror. I've been thinking of taking the assembly apart again, and spraying the bushing with some mild adhesive spray...sort of gum it up a bit. Any thoughts?
I was having a similar problem on my '81, and was going to order a new bushing -- when the whole elbow broke on the driver's side! Seems there was a fracture in the elbow itself that finally let go, and the problem was not in the bushing itself.

Not sure why your replacement of the whole thing didn't help. Was the spring replaced, too? :confused

Yes, the spring was replaced with the whole assembly. It started out as a sagging visor, and when I went to look at it, the elbow snapped. So I replaced the whole assembly. Actually, the spring only places tension on the elbow rotating in the frame. It's the fit of the nylon bushings within the elbow that places tension on the extension arm of the visor. The weight of the visor is enough that the bushings don't resist the force.

The previous owner of my vette had jammed some paper in the elbow to try and increase the friction, but it wasn't working...and when I spotted the makeshift fix, it prompted me to take a look. And here we are today...a complete new assembly and still the visor drops!

Not heartening to hear. :ugh

Part is supposed to be here tomorrow, and perhaps I will have some time to work on it tomorrow night. Will let you know if it solved my problem (or if I needed some extra paper "stuffing."

What ??? It is not supposed to do that ??? I just hold it up with my head !:crazy

Yes, the spring was replaced with the whole assembly. It started out as a sagging visor, and when I went to look at it, the elbow snapped. So I replaced the whole assembly. Actually, the spring only places tension on the elbow rotating in the frame. It's the fit of the nylon bushings within the elbow that places tension on the extension arm of the visor. The weight of the visor is enough that the bushings don't resist the force.

The previous owner of my vette had jammed some paper in the elbow to try and increase the friction, but it wasn't working...and when I spotted the makeshift fix, it prompted me to take a look. And here we are today...a complete new assembly and still the visor drops!

Try pushing the visor onto the stem a bit harder, this help with mine, it still falls down, but not nearly as much. I had to push it fairly hard onto the arm.

I think the spring does more than tension the rotation. I installed my new one today, and when it first went on, it was sagging...more so than before it broke. So I drove the spring clip down to the next notch (putting more tension on the spring) and the sagging stopped!

In fact, it's almost better than new now! :D

Now, if I could just figure out how to secure the switch on the passenger-side mirror, both visors would be perfect! :cool

I was having the same problem with the visor. I took a piece of the blue shop towel (the paper type on a roll) and wrapped it around the rod inside of the white retainer. The rod installed firmly and I am happy to report that the visor does not fall down anymore.

the problem with the mirror falling is in the nylon bushing. After trying a few times I got another

set of bushings. Looking closely as I tapped them on I noticed that the bushing was tight at the

beginning and shaving part of it off. I corrected the problem by filing the end on an angle so it

would slide in true. It works very well.

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom