Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Super Charger

89blackvette

Corvette
1992 white Coupe
Has anyone here installed a Pro Charger on their stock L-98 in a C4. Was the install as simple as it looks, how did it perform and finally any problems down the road. Car will NOT be raced just driven normally with the usuall get on it once in a while. Thinking of it as a look at me booster and shock and awe. Thanks for your time.

wouldnt a blower on a stock motor cause a lot complicated compression and time-ing issues.?...not mention air fuel ratio and the need for bigger injectors and everything else to do with induction and exhaust...and youd need extra spark too..and probably a different computer and or chip(?)..im jus sayin..there is no place to stop once you start down this road...warning....if you want a quick boost without the hassell and dont mind stressing your engine...nitrous is the cheapest horse power on earth..

I put one (had one put on, actually) and was not greatly impressed.
I only took the first step. Every thing seemed to work O.K., just not that big of an improvement - at least not what I was anticipating.

I put one (had one put on, actually) and was not greatly impressed.
I only took the first step. Every thing seemed to work O.K., just not that big of an improvement - at least not what I was anticipating.
Percentage wise how was the power improvement 25% would make it a little over 300HP 30% would be close to 320 HP, etc? Did it make any additional noise, perhaps gear whine ? Any problems at all ? I have drag reced a motorcycle for several years and have seen the aftermath of nitrous, no thanks on that. Thanks for your info.

The July 2009 issue of Corvette Magazine had an article about a 2004 Z06 that had been modified with a Procharger supercharger among other things. You may want to try to find a copy of that. I know it's not a C4 but you still may find it of interest. For example the writer of the article does state that he was hoping to hear some SC whine when getting into it but that it was quiet. Well at least the SC was quiet, the car in the test has Billy Boat Bullet exhaust which must have been loud.
Anyway if you can't find a copy of the magazine and you don't want to order a back copy you can PM me your address and I'll mail you mine.

Percentage wise how was the power improvement 25% would make it a little over 300HP 30% would be close to 320 HP, etc? Did it make any additional noise, perhaps gear whine ? Any problems at all ? I have drag reced a motorcycle for several years and have seen the aftermath of nitrous, no thanks on that. Thanks for your info.

It was quicker, just not as much as I had expected - as I said, I had it installed (I'm no mechanic) by a local mechanic with a good rep for performance modifications, etc. I doubt more than 300 hp total.
I ended up trading it on a '92 ZR1 and there was no comparison.
You could hear the typical supercharger whine.

pls4490
Thanks for the heads up sounds like maybe a 20 to 25% increase, not the 50 to 75% they advertise. Again thanks for your reply and your time.

pls4490
Thanks for the heads up sounds like maybe a 20 to 25% increase, not the 50 to 75% they advertise. Again thanks for your reply and your time.

Hmmm... based upon the responses & feedback I've heard so far- I'd lean towards a rear gear, cam, heads, & intake swap.

It was quicker, just not as much as I had expected - as I said, I had it installed (I'm no mechanic) by a local mechanic with a good rep for performance modifications, etc. I doubt more than 300 hp total.
I ended up trading it on a '92 ZR1 and there was no comparison.
You could hear the typical supercharger whine.

What was your exact setup?

Hmmm... based upon the responses & feedback I've heard so far- I'd lean towards a rear gear, cam, heads, & intake swap.

id have to agree with the gear change for sure..i mean you have way too much gear stock unless you have lowered it already..
and dont blowers come in the 3 to 5 thousand dollar range.?plus you need to lower your compression, so thats new pistons and you need a different cam too...
sounds like a stroker would not be any more expensive and way faster...im jus sayin...
i love the whine of a blower.also.
and always wanted one sticken up through the hood... who didnt or doesnt..???
thats jus my 1.5 cents worth...it dont cost nuthin...lol
and its worth every penny...
:w:Bcool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom